Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

How Many Had Problems With Pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

Just fishing for things in common out of curiosity.

How many had problems with their pregnancies?

Premature labor or birth?

Did your sclero symptoms rear their ugly heads before, during or after pregnancy?

How many with endometriosis?

Thanks,
Barefut

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:19 AM

Hi Barefut,
That would be me!!! This will be a little long, I apologize!
My first preganancy was great until 33 weeks. I went into labor and my doctors were able to hold me off for two weeks so I delivered a little girl at 35 weeks. She was 4lbs 15oz and very healthy. She came home from the hospital with us two days later.

5 months after my pregnancy I was having awful stomach pains so my dr told me to go to the hospital. Theythought I was having an etopic pregnancy or kidney stones but then decided it was my appendix so they took it out. I was so thankful because I never wanted to experience that pain again. Well in Jan of '99 the same pain came back. I couldn't believe it so I called my dr and he asked me to come in. From there I was was really sick for the next year, loosing weight, atleast 2lbs a day and I was under 100 lbs at my worst. I stopped eating because the pain was bad and I was running on caffiene. My little girl was still a baby and I was working full time. My dr refered me to a gastro and after 2 colonoscopies she told me I must be anorexic. Well you can imagine what I told her.

In Jan of '00 I was pregnant again. I started gaining weight immediately. At 9 weeks pregnant I had those awful pains again. My dr admitted me to the hospital where I met a new gastro. He took one look at me and my file and said, the sclero is in your intestines. He did some tests with my ob to make sure everything was ok with the baby and it was.

At 20 weeks I started contracting, put on bedrest and meds to stop the labor. by 25 weeks I was in full blown labor for three days then it stopped. By 33 weeks I had a new baby girl, 3lbs 13oz. She was in the hospital for about 6 weeks with different issues but as of today she is 6 with no neurological issues.

If you have a good ob who understands sclero, then you should be able to have a good pregnancy. My dr knew what to look for so I was very lucky.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 Hailee

Hailee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hello Barefut,

My first born, my son was born two months early. My second and third children, my two daughters, were each born a month early. My fourth child, my last daughter, was born three months early. She had been doing really well but I lost her to SIDS at the age of ten months. It didn't make any sense she was already starting to pull her self up and walk along the furniture. She was taken swiftly in 1994 and here I am hanging around so long and I often wonder why. I am suffering constantly and can hardly do anything. I just try and let other people know that they are not alone. And when my time comes, I just hope that I can have made enough of a difference--one more voice--crying out to doctors--when patients come to you, listen--it's not an imaginary illness.

So yes Barefut, I have had problems with all of my children being born early. With my son in fact, he may have had a twin because I had lost a large piece of tissue/ clot which the doctor thought was a placenta and that I wasn't pregnant anymore. It turned out I still was.

My son is a big healthy young man now. He lives in Calgary and is taking electrical engineering. Today is actually his birthday; he turns 21. My second daughter is 19, lives at the college in Red Deer and she is taking a Bachelor of Arts with English as the major. My youngest is 15 and is still in high school.

I know how you feel about finding things in common. I feel the same way.

Blessings,

Hailee

#4 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Topic Starter
  • Bloggers
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

Oh Hailee, I'm so sorry for your loss! What a devastation. I can't begin to imagine your grief at that time. I'm happy that your other children are doing so well. You must be proud.

Well, I too had pregnancy complications. My first son was born 6 1/2 weeks early but was a big boy for his age weighing in at 5 pounds. He stayed in the hospital 17 days and we brought him home on the eve of the December holiday. He's had no long term health complications from being premature.

My second son wanted to come early too but me and my doctor kept him in there and he was only 2 weeks early.

I had trouble getting pregnant because of endometriosis and a twisted fallopian tube which I had straightened out and had a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks later.

I had some of my first sclero symptoms when my firstborn was 6 months old back in 1998. By 2000 I had a "probable lupus" diagnosis. It took 6 more years and the development of Raynaud's and puffy hands to get my diffuse systemic sclero diagnosis. (sounds like I'm bragging about a master's degree! :lol: )

I've been curious about pregnency being a trigger for sclero. as well as the mysterious coincidence of so many people with lupus also having endometriosis. I was also curious if any diffuse sclero patients also have endo.?

Thanks,
Barefut

#5 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

HI Barefut, I didn't have trouble with my childbirths but I did suffer from endometriosis. That resulted in a hysterectomy.
Haille, I'm so sorry you had to suffer the loss of a baby. That must have been really difficult! So glad your other children are healthy!
Sherion

#6 cathy

cathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

hi my name is cathy and I was diagnosis with diffuse scleroderma in Dec. I was wanting to get pregnant but I heard the disease get worse> Have you heard the same. I have no children of my own.

#7 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

Cathy,
I also am in the same boat. I was diagnosed Aug 06 and hoped to get prego in a year or so. According to an article I read, its best to wait at least 3 years. They say if there are any complications they show up within this period of time. Boo. I was hoping to be prego before then.

I'm on cytoxan and depot lupron which protects my ovaries from the effects of the cytoxan. The lupron has a fairly good percentage of complete normal restoration once the cytoxan is over. Some people have told me to look into getting my eggs harvested. Ahh with just being diagnosed and then this... So many things to think about. I'm just taking is one day at a time and always reminding my doctor that it's very important to me to preserve my abilities to get pregnant.

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#8 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

I thought you might be interested in reading some of the articles we have on this topic on the ISN website: http://www.sclero.or...ncy/a-to-z.html

You will find information there about pregnancy and autoimmune disease in general, and with scleroderma in particular.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#9 pattitx

pattitx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:32 AM

I've had three children. I did not have problems with the first one, the second one I had blood pressure problems and constant headaches and backaches. The third one went more smoothly but I had gestational diabetes with all three. My third son, Jason, died of SIDS at 6 months. He was healthy and starting to turn over. It was just devestating so I understand. I lost our fourth pregnancy to a miscarriage.