Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

How To Add A Secure Avatar To Your Forum Messages

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:17 AM

Do you admire the photos next to people's messages in the forum, and wish you could have one of your own?

The photos by messages are called "Avatars", as opposed to "Profile Photos" that only appear on your forum profile page.

You may upload a photo of yourself, or use one of our lovely avatar photos or drawings.

Before using an identifiable photo of yourself, please read our Forum Guidelines, particularly:

Safety and Privacy Our forum messages can be read by everyone, including our spouses, children, doctors, employers, disability examiners, friends, neighbors, credit agencies, landlords, schools, insurance examiners, lawyers, thieves, cyber-criminals, police, courts, stalkers, pedophiles, ex-mates, and potential employers...even many years later. Always guard your privacy, safety and decorum on the internet. Select a unique, unrevealing nickname and username, in keeping with our neutral zone policy.

If you would like, our ISN artists can retouch your photo to make it personal but still unidentifiable, such as by adding an eye mask or humorous element. Simply email your photo to [email protected] with your request or any special instructions and we will create your avatar and upload it for you. We will also gladly do this upon request for anyone who already has an identifiable avatar posted.

We also have a lovely collection of avatars that were designed by ISN Artists. There are hundreds to choose from in many categories, including Animals, Birds, Butterflies, Flowers, People, etc. To pick out your avatar:

1. Go to My Controls, which is linked near the upper right hand corner of each page.

2. Down in the left-hand column you will see Personal Profile. Click on Avatar Settings.

3. On the avatar page, you will see a dropdown list of categories, starting with Animals. Select a category from the list and click the GO button.

4. Click the radio button by the photo (avatar) of your choice and then click the Use Selected Avatar button. That's it! All your forum messages will now display with your lovely new avatar.

5. You may need to hit REFRESH in your browser to see the changes on the forum pages.

You may also upload an image from your computer for use as an avatar. They must be under 50KB in formats of GIF, JPG, JPEG, or PNG. The final size we actually use is 90 pixels wide, and usually about 4KB in size. You will get best results if you shrink your photo down to that size before uploading. A good free online graphics shrinking program is: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ .

If you don't know what that stuff means, just pick one of ours. You may change your avatar at any time.

What are you waiting for? Today is a great day to play with avatars and to add some color and interest to your Sclero Forum posts. We dare dare double-dare you to get a new or revised avatar right now. ;)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hi Janey,

I just wanted to tell you how much I like all of your different Avatars...it is nice to have them matching the seasons.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Claudia-DR

Claudia-DR

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:58 AM

Hi Shelley!

I have been trying to change my Avatar photo but wind up getting the old one back all the time.

I followed all the steps correctly plus I hit Refresh as well.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,
Claudia

#4 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

Hi Claudia,

Isn't this a new picture of you showing now? Or is my memory that bad? If so, it may have been that it wasn't showing up for you until you logged off and then back on?? Anyway, great picture!

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#5 Claudia-DR

Claudia-DR

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

Heidi:

Thanks! The picture on my previous message is my old picture.

I'll log out and in again to see if I get to see the new one...

Claudia

#6 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • ISN Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

That's a mighty cliffhanger! So Claudia, do you see your lovely new avatar now?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President

#7 Claudia-DR

Claudia-DR

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:04 AM

Thanks so much Shelley! Yes, I can see it now. It seems that my computer, like my brain, needs more time than usual to process things...

Best,
Claudia

#8 Guest_Jude the Grouch_*

Guest_Jude the Grouch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

Speaking of lovely avatars, Shelley, your's is pretty nifty, too. I love the flowers!

jude

#9 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • ISN Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

Thank you, Jude!

I'm hoping more members will go to "My Controls", find their Avatar Settings and select one of our delightful FREE avatars to liven up their Sclero Forums messages with lovely photos or artwork from our fabulous ISN artists!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President