Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Diabetes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Katherine

Katherine

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

For about a month I had been having more fatique than usual and more swelling than usual so I went in to see my doctor. After the conversations , the tests, several different blood & urine..... could have knocked me over with a feather , I have diabeties. doctor says from sclero. never saw that coming. :(

#2 Kamlesh

Kamlesh

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

I have a diabetes and Sclero. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 14 years ago. It is easy to diagnose diabetes - a simple blodd test. I was tested for ANA positive about 10 years ago. If I had ANA positive before that I do not know, because there was no reason for the tests. If sclero affects pancreas and impacts its ability to create insulin then it cause diabetes, but I have not seen any studies proving any relationship between sclero and diabetes.
Kind regards,

Kamlesh

#3 MaryFanPhilly

MaryFanPhilly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:56 AM

Katherine, have you been taking Prednisone? I was diagnosed with steroid-induced diabetes in November. I do have a family history as well so was already susceptible, and the steroids put me over the edge. The good news is that diabetes is completely controllable and is the least of my worries at this point, thanks to an excellent endocrinologist who works well with my rheumatologist. The very best thing I did was to take a nutrition class, which has made all the difference.... I feel better than I have in a year since taking control of my health. If you are taking the steroids and there's any way possible to reduce or eliminate them (I know, fat chance...) speak to your rheumatologist about it, check your blood sugar regularly and see an endo who is familiar with sclero (sometimes easier said than done...) and take control wherever you can. Good luck and lots of love, Mary
Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's

#4 Katherine

Katherine

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

as it turns out I'm not on predi , my rheumatologist doesn't like me on it for long periods .

#5 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:37 PM

Wow Kathrine, that is some news when your not expecting it! I am truely sorry to hear that. Diabetes is an autoimmune disease so I guess they could be linked.

Did the doctor say that he had a treatment plan lined up for you to help with the fatigue and swelling?
*WestCoast*

#6 Katherine

Katherine

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

for now I'm on metformin 500mg a day and watching my diet. I'm not seeing any results so far. maybe to soon. I'm going to MUSC next week . Hoping for a complete picture . as time has gone by all the different ailments I have , have come along one at a time. this in it's self drives me nuts . enough is enough.

Katherine