Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Iv Cytoxan With Peniclliamine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

Has anyone done the Cytoxan by IV and taken the penicilliamine at the same time? I have some beginning fibrosis in the lungs and the Dr. says there is a 20% chance that this medication will halt its progression. It just seems like such a toxic mixture for a 20% chance of it working. Please let me know if this treatment has been effective for you and what your side effects were. Thanks for the help. Gidget

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi Gidget,

That treatment plan sounds a bit unusual, since as I understand it, d-pen has largely fallen by the wayside for treatment of scleroderma. See:
Ineffective Treatments: Penicillamine

You may want to consult a scleroderma expert for a second opinion, if you haven't already. It's my impression that some scleroderma experts still use d-pen under certain conditions, but if it were me, I'd really think twice about accepting the idea from anyone else, and I would want to know the reason they are prescribing it and what research they are basing their ideas on. It's possible they just may not have discovered the most recent research, since for many years d-pen was "the" treatment for scleroderma.

Also read our page on Cytoxan Clinical Trials for Scleroderma.

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.