Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Does Anyone Have Psoriasis Plus Scleroderma?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hi everyone, I used to have psoriasis as a child , from about age 3 to 8, used to go to the hospital for treatment ( coal tar baths, sunlight lamp and lots of coal tar cream- can still smell it!) two or three times a week. Then it disappered . However in the last couple of years it has come back and seems to get worse in tandem with what I take to be Ssc flares (fatigue, joint pains, dizziness etc). probably not suprising as both autoimmune. just wondered if it was unsual to have psoriasis as well or are there lots of you out there with it?
lizzie

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:26 AM

Hi Lizzie,

I also have psoriasis. I have multiple autoimmune syndrome (MAS) and I know I had psoriasis for very many years before it was diagnosed. The rashes were just brushed off as due to connective tissue disease, in general, and I was given various prescription creams and even shampoos.

And you're right, it is not surprising to have psoriasis along with scleroderma, as all the autoimmune diseases like to hang out together. In fact, the more autoimmune diseases a person has, the more likely they are to get another one.

We have a section on Psoriasis on the main site:
http://www.sclero.or...a-to-z.html#psa

My psoriasis used to worsen along with other symptoms, before I started daily full spectrum light therapy and diet modifications. It's much easier for people with just one ailment to get diagnosed promptly, and to know exactly what is acting up, too. Although, none of us can ever assume any new symptom is automatically due to what we've already been diagnosed with -- each new one requires its own evaluation, of course.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

Hi Shelley, thanks for the link , there was some interesting stuff in there. Its seem that it is fairly rare to have the combination of Ssc and psoriasis. I find it is often difficult to know whether a symptom is due to something you have already been diagnosed with or due to something completely new. I'm often unsure whether to contact the rheumatology team or my general practitioner with a problem. I usually opt for the rheumatologists-at the unit I attend there is a hotline that you can ring to ask advice about any problems you are experiencing- I find it absolutely invaluable knowing that I can just ring and get an expert opinion and reassurance or action such as being prescribed medication or even admission if required. It really takes some of the stress out of having this condition.
lizzie