Jump to content

Hang onto your hat: Sclero Forums Upgrade May 14-21, 2017!! The Forums will be offline for up to 4 days, and then will return with an entirely new look and feel.


St. Louis Rheumy/sclero Experts?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KristaRN



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

I haven't yet seen the rheumatologist I have made appt with, takes 2 months to get the appt, and I wondered if anyone is in the St. Louis area that has had experience with any in this area. I hate to waste time on somebody that isn't any good being it takes so long to get in to see them. I didn't see anybody in Missouri listed on the expert list here.

#2 Guest_Jennifer_*

  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:35 AM

Did you find your Dr.? It looks like Chicago may be the nearest for you to get to see an expert. I hope you had some luck finding a good Dr.

#3 Dee


    Bronze Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi, Krista. I'm so sorry you are suffering. At first it is especially confusing trying to navigate these waters.

Maybe your most important decision is who will be your doctor. Since you are a nurse, you have an excellent network to tap into. Ask doctors and other nurses who they would send their wife/mother to.

Even if you have to wait longer to get to see a really experienced rheumatologist, you will not regret it. It sure saves stress and frustration later. Do you have a good PC doctor who will care for you in the meantime? Or could he get you in earlier?

I live 4 hrs. from St. Louis. I saw a head rheumatologist at Washington U Medical School (don't know if he is still there). He was good, but I was disappointed he wasn't as interested as I had hoped. He had no diagnosis like the expert I had seen in L.A. But he had a female intern who was very, very thorough. I don't remember her name, but she was excellent. I also remember there was a female rheumatologist who taught at Washington U, specialized in scleroderma, and also had a private practice. I don't remember her name, but you can find her on their website.I wished I had seen her.

You might also check out St.Louis U medical school. Not all experts are listed on the ISN list.

Warm wishes,

Dee in MO

#4 janey


    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Location:New Mexico

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

I couldn't find a scleroderma specialist in your area through ISN, but using the "find a rheumatologist" link I did get this list of St. Louis rheumatologists. You could do some internet research on each of them and see if they have a connective tissue specialty or even call them to see if they have treat scleroderma patients.

Good luck! Finding a good rheumatologist is so important. Please let us know how it goes.
Big Hugs,

Janey Willis
ISN Support Specialist
(Retired) ISN Assistant Webmaster
(Retired) ISN News Director
(Retired) ISN Technical Writer for Training Manuals
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)