Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Anyone Have Low IgA Serum?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VEGAN

VEGAN

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

Just got bloodwork in the mail showing low IgA. Anyone relate?

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hi Vegan,

As I understand it (and keep in mind I have no medical training at all), IgA are antibodies. Having a "low" value is good (meaning not a problem). Most people have low IgA antibodies, and about 10% of people don't have any at all. In this case, low is good, high would be not-so-good.

Isn't it a relief not to have to sit on a question like that until your next doctor visit?

Lots more info on antibodies is on our main site.

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 VEGAN

VEGAN

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

I like to get input from this group even before I talk with doctors because, honestly, I don't trust them, and for good reasons. I've had several different doctors give me totally different opinions on the same exact scenario. I know from this forum that certain things seem common for people with sclero, and that, to me, is much more powerful than a doctor telling me a symptom is not related.

My IgA is abnormally low. My son has a primary immune deficiency and one of the areas he is too low is also IgA. If no one else here has heard of it, I'm guessing it's probably not related. But I wouldn't trust a doctor who told me that unless I confirmed it with this group.

Peace,
Satya

#4 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:19 AM

Hi Satya ,

Gareth has had this test done numerous times to r/o celiac disease. It's good that it is low. I PM you with the info.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

Hi Satya,

Are you talking about IgA blood levels, or IgA antibodies? They are two different things. It is good to have low IgA antibodies; but it is not so good to have low IgA blood levels, which are often associated with things like autoimmune diseases, sinus infections, ear infections, bronchitis,and gluten or milk intolerance. You would use the search term "IgA deficiency" for more information.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.