Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Numbness?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle2

Michelle2

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:30 AM

Hello~

Has anyone out there have problems with numbness? Just yesterday I noticed that the outside portion of my thumb has gone numb. It's so weird. It's just one little part of my thumb that has been affected.

Oh and also what should I be asking my rheumatologist at my next appt. I see all kinds of things you guys talk about, but haven't got a clue about. Like....CRP and other things you guys abbreviate. Should I be having her run tests and new blood work? I haven't had any blood work done for 9-12 months. Right now she has told me that I have Raynaud's, Arthritis and Lupus. For some reason, I don't believe that to be true. I just don't seem to get direct answers from her. I want to go in there next time with all my duck's in a row, if you know what I am talking about.... :unsure:

HELP!
Take care and stay warm,

Michelle

#2 reese

reese

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:06 AM

Hello-

I am followed by a rheumatologist every 4 months for MCTD in which I have raynauds, arthritis, lupus and sclero symptoms that vary in activity according to flares. I would suggest the following blood work to be done every 4-6 mths.

Blood Chemistry
Serology-complement 3, and 4; DNA antibody

Hematology/inflammation-which is stuff like your white and red blood cell count and includes sed rate, as well as CRP testing.

Urinalysis

These tests are pretty standard and I would not be surprised if you have already had all of these tests performed at least once. Definitely ask your doctor for a copy of your last lab reports, then you will be able to follow your pattern as the years go by.

Let us know how your appt. goes!

Reese

#3 Michelle2

Michelle2

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Perfect! I am going to print this out and take it with me to my next appt. I go on Sept 14. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

THANK YOU!!
Take care and stay warm,

Michelle

#4 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hello KB,
I agree with Reese that you should request a copy of your labs for your own records and so that you can look them up to find out what the doctor is looking for...especially if she is not communicating with you.

All of these tests should be redone if you are showing new symptoms so that the doctor can track your progress.

When you do get a list of your tests, here is a link to the ISN that explains many of the blood tests ran in order to identify things like Scleroderma, lupus, Rheumatory Arthritis, ect.

Best of luck with your apt. in Sept.

*WestCoast*

#5 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hi Michelle,
I only developed Raynauds a few months ago, it started in the feet, the colour change was white then blue for me.

I have noticed that at times my toes go numb from time to time, I did mention it to my rheumatologist and he said it was all part of the Raynauds, he did prescribe some meds for me for the colder months here in australia (which I haven't yet taken).

Funnily enough I was sick with the flu a month or so ago and I decided to sleep on the couch so I wouldn't give it to my husband.
I awoke to one foot and all the way up to my knee completely numb,dead feeeling.
If felt as though I couldn't move my whole half of the leg and had to lift it and vigoursly rub it for some time. The feeling eventually came back.

Hope this helps

Celia

#6 Michelle2

Michelle2

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:23 AM

Hi Celia~

Interesting............I'll have to definately mention it to my rheumatologist at my next appt. As it goes right now, my thumb is still numb and it's been almost a week. It really is strange.
Take care and stay warm,

Michelle

#7 Marjoristar

Marjoristar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hi kb,

I'm Marjori, new person to the forum. 11 years with Scleroderma. Regarding numbness- both of my feet from the ball of my foot (pad below toes) are numb to the max. That includes all my toes. In my case, my rheumatologist said this is a form of neuropathy. One great toe had surgery performed for arthritis which deformed the bones, tissues and created unbearable pain. I needed a working joint. Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful. This affects me by disabling me to walk without a cane at times, or to wear fabulous heels. I haven't heard of remedies for the numbness, which in my case is related to lack of bloodflow to the extremities (toes).
Of course, ask your doctor.

It might take time to establish a rapport with your rheumatologist, I imagine she will suggest the bloodwork that is necessary for you. My rheumatologist suggested bloodwork every six weeks.

Perhaps you are, as I was, in somewhat of a state of denial. Please know that I empathize with you.

Yes, take some basic questions and a notebook and write down the information she will give you so that you can check it out either through th doctor or your own research.

Blessings, Marjori from California