Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Returned from my internist visit on Tuesday. He question why my rheumatologist has not prescribed anything for my Lupus. My internist at our last visit said the lab forgot to treat me for Lupus, but all signs point to negative. Who is not reading the blood results correctly? I tend to believe the rheumatologist, in that it is their speciality.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hi Truman,

Please keep in mind that I have no medical training at all; and correct me if I'm wrong. But, it is my understanding that it is a misconception that lupus always needs to be treated.

Sometimes it is less active or in remission, and if nothing in particular is flaring up very badly, many lupus patients get by without treatment during those times. Often, it is enough just to treat the symptoms, as they arise.

If the rheumatologist said you have lupus, go with that. They are the expert, not the internist. And just accept the confusion as a natural course of events...it is just like that with connective tissue diseases, where it is normal to encounter widely differing opinions or approaches among doctors and even rapid about-faces with the same doctor, over time.

That kind of stress harms the immune system and makes illness worse. So now that you're aware of the inevitable craziness, just let it go. It has absolutely nothing to do with you -- it is just how the "system" works (or rather, how it doesn't work). So, join the club!

You can also request the records from your rheumatologist, to see what your chart says. Sometimes they confide more in the patient about a diagnosis or impending diagnosis than they ever put in the chart, and that may be confusing to your internist.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

That's my point. She said the clinic neglected to test me for Lupus, and that she was sure that was not a consideration based on my symptoms and other blood tests conducted. The internist gathered from the blood tests done, that is was Lupus. I told him to call the rheumatologist and discuss their theories before discussing one on one with me. Again, I tend to trust the rheumatologist's diagnosis more, not because it's one less worry, but it's her field and expertise.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#4 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hi Tru,
I agree with you on that one! My previous neurologist always wondered why the rheumatologist wasn't diagnosing me with Lupus according to the labs and symptoms. My rheumatologist needed more and I really trusted her oppinion...I didn't want a diagnosis that wasn't solid...I only want to be treated for what is really making me sick, not unlike anyone else here.

So hang tight and go with your gut.
*WestCoast*