Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Promotility Pills

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Member

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hello,
The promotility pill I take is to be taken 30 minutes prior to eating. Sometimes it just does not work out that way for me and I don't get to take it before I eat. Should I be taking it anyway, 3-4 times a day as directed or just not take it unless it's 30 minutes before eating? Sometimes I only eat twice a day...sometimes 4 times a day, sometimes I don't take it and some days I do. I feel like I'm doing it all wrong...probably because I am.
Jennifer

#2 janet905

janet905

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

hi jennifer,

these promotility drugs (esp. when taken 3 times a day) give you more continous coverage as far as reflux, nausea, etc. than if you started skipping them. try to stay on time with this type of medication even if you skip a meal . they do work better if you take them before a meal but still help if taken with a meal. they work by stimulating gastric contractions and thus help get food moving forward instead of just sitting there not digesting. so , it like warming up your car a little in cold weather before taking off. make sure your GI doctor knows all the meds you are taking (even otc) as these can have side effects with certain other drugs. they can also have behavioral side effects also ( CNS ). try to eat small , frequent meals also to aid in digestion instead of one huge meal at night.
good luck,
janet

#3 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hi Jen & Janet,
So what are these promotility drugs? Do they work like Prilocec and Nexium? I have never heard of these before... What are the side effects?

Thanks....
*WestCoast*

#4 janet905

janet905

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

hi erin,

the prokinetic drugs such as reglan (metoclopramide) and domperidone act on the esophageal and gastric smooth muscle to basically get things moving along in the right direction in a timely fashion. these drugs are very different from the acid blockers such as nexium, prilosec, etc. they are often used in together to help acid reflux. they also help the lower esophageal sphincter to close so that stomach contents don't backflow into the esophagus. another drug that has mild prokinetic benefits as well as decreasing stomach acid is zantac. you don't often hear about the promotility benefits of zantac because it has weaker activity compared to reglan and others.
hope this helps,
janet

#5 Guest_Jennifer_*

Guest_Jennifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Janet,
Thanks for all the wonderul information. It was very informative.
Erin, good luck sweetie!
Jennifer