Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

My Lung Biopsy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:43 AM

Hello,
This is odd, or maybe not. I recently had two years worth of CT scans, doctors reports and PFTs sent to me. I was reading over them last night and from my last CT scan in April, it says sutures from lung biopsy were still there. Is that normal?

The CT scan also said things that I had never heard of, so I will do some researching today. I was not aware that I had so much thickening in my esophagus. Is that the real cause of GERD? It sure was sad reading the Dr. note from day one when I first got sick. My hemoglobin was 9 and my PH was 45. I have come along way so for those of you just getting diagnosed, it can get a lot better!!!

xo
Jennifer

#2 Katherine

Katherine

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:54 AM

I'd think that they would have melted away by now. I'd certainly ask about that..
The sclero experts, in So. Carolina, tell me,
I'm in good shape , for the shape I'm in :)
They tell me the shortness of breath I have is due to some sclero scaring in my lungs but not much.
If I may ask , what prompted them to do a bio ?

I had to have a balloon cath done to my esophagus a year ago as I was having such a hard time swallowing and I believe the GERD is related.

Katherine

#3 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:11 AM

Katherine,
My Scleroderma presented itself with severe shortness of breath. I had no clue I had it until bam, I was sick sick and in ICU for 3 weeks. I don't have skin involvement, so I'm thinking the diagnosis was harder. They did the lung biopsy well before the diagnosis of scleroderma.
Not really sure, those three weeks I really don't remember, or I would have been asking questions.
xo
Jen

#4 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:17 AM

Jen,
You may have mentioned this before, but did your shortness of breath show up at first while you were at rest or just when you were excersising?
*WestCoast*

#5 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Hey Jen,
I suppose if the sutures were bothersome they'd remove them... I dunno I'm not a medical people. My CT scan says "distention of the esophagus" which means swelling of the esophagus. I don't know if that's the same as thickening. It might be that our GERD problems caused the esophagus to thicken as a reactive defense against the stomach acid/food.

Yes you are getting better every day! That's so great!

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#6 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hi Erin,
I love your bird! My shortness of breath came about while sitting, drinking water and changing my shirt. It was obvious too, there was no wondering "Hmm, I think I feel a littlle winded", I was full on short of breath. It happened on a Sunday night and I went to the ER the following day.
xoxo
Jen

#7 Katherine

Katherine

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

Jen,
I appreciate you explaining.

My sclero started about two years ago with the raynauds, then my skin , then my esophagus & the GERD problems , bowel problems, my colon is twisted, cognitive problems, shortness of breath and now diabeties . The unforgiveable fatique I think is a given.

I have had two chest CT's ,a year apart , the first one didn't show anything although I could feel something going on.

That's why I asked about the bio.

Katherine