Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

What Is/was Your Job/career?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 smurfette

smurfette

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

I am an attorney who practiced, emphasis on the past tense, family law (divorce, custody, paternity, child support, etc...) for many years. After my second child I had severe fibromyalgia and since I was a single practitioner I closed my practice and became my husband's "back office girl" doing the time keeping and billing functions for his law firm. I have flexible hours, can also work from home if I need to and often come into the office with my husband. That way I do not have to drive 40 minutes in and out of the office which makes it easier if I am particularly exhausted at the end of the day.

I also taught knitting and design in the evenings before my second child was born, but had to stop when the fibro was particularly evil because my hands just could not take the grasping the of the needles or the repetitive motion for long. I miss the court room and have kept my license active so maybe someday I can get back to my profession, but right now I do not have the stamina to work everyday and do not feel that it would be wise to undertake a case load and not be able to service my clients on a full time basis.
Smurfette

Chocolate, It isn't just for breakfast anymore!

#42 mutsy67

mutsy67

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

This is an amazing group of people - what a 'fun' family we are!

I have a business degree from a big 10 school in the midwest where I met my husband (25 years Aug. 27th!) but after graduation we couldn't find jobs so we moved to Phoenix. No friends, no family and unemployed - we actually had so little we moved by UPS (23 boxes!).

I worked for 10 years as a Controller for a manufacturing firm - 60+ hrs/wk. When our son was born he developed severe asthma at just four months. My employer was a second generation all-male company. The only women employed were secretaries - except me. Needless to day they didn't understand when I needed to stay home with my little guy. Just before my son was three I quit to start my own company. Fifteen years later I still own/operate a small nanny/baby-sitting agency with major corporate contracts and four office employees. We all work out of home offices and are mothers.

Working from home has been ideal for me as I first had fibro and really haven't been 'healthy' for a long time.

My son leaves in three weeks for that same big 10 school in the Midwest - we will miss him terribly and are not ready to be empty nesters but I'm sure we'll survive this too!
Shari
Shari (AKA Mutsy)

#43 JANQ

JANQ

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

Hello!

I graduated from college with a degree in Elementary Education. From my experiences in my senior year in college doing 12 weeks of student teaching, I knew I would never actually teach. It is bad when 7 year olds can make an adult woman cry!!

After college, I took a job as a secretary for the State, then during a recruitment process, won a place (15 spots out of 400 applicants) in a computering programming school sponsored by the state. I became a computer programmer in 1990, left state employment in 1995, had my daughter in 1996, then stayed at home until 1998. In August of 1998, I began contracting in computer programming under my own small business corporation. After 9 of the longest years of contracting, stress in the IT field, exhaustion, and stress of carrying a beeper, I decided to quit in October of 2007, to take a mini-break. I got sick and bedridden for 5 months starting in February of 2008, so as of this time, still not working.

It's okay. My favorite career has been "Mommy." And...my proudest part of it all is being a single mom and doing it ALL on my own.

Janet

#44 jaxs

jaxs

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

wow...I'm well impressed by all you guys, :rolleyes:
I've read through the posts and thought about what I'd like to say; at first I was thinking I've done nothing like you guys, but had a very hectic life. At 16 I left school and become an assistant in a cafe, got married at 18 had 2 kids then decided to go to college to become a deaf welfare social worker. I was told that I wouldn't make it -- silly me, I listened and gave up. (I lacked a lot of confidence,) I passed all my stages I needed, then I went on to have another 3 children. By then I was a single parent to 5 kids, one with ADHD, so I become his carer. I fought the system for 12 years to get it recognised and eventually I won. ;) I worked in the blind society, I also worked with terminally ill people who were deaf and blind, I worked for a place of worship visiting deaf people in homes and hospital. I worked for a spell in a deaf school as a domestic helper for the teacher and after doing that I worked in domestic violence signing for deaf women, and also support in a group for women in or had been in domestic violence, all voluntary.

I cared for my mum who died of cancer and dad before he died, then I was dignosed with systemic sclerosis. I am now carer for my younger son who lost all his hair and has now been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, because of the bullying he has suffered. I still care for my son with ADHD, but it's much better theses days, so to say I've done nothing is an understatement, hahaha, so my job now is a full time carer, ;) when they're not caring for me I care for them.

Hope I haven't bored you guys too much but I am being honest, hahah
warm hugs to you all jaxsxxxx
live life for today and not for tomorrow

#45 Honey

Honey

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hello, friends.

I am a group exercise/fitness instructor and personal trainer, and have been in fitness since 1982. I remember when people would call us "health nuts." Little did they know. My sclero has forced me to retire from personal training and my strength and cardio classes. I am grateful that I can still teach Yoga, although it is difficult for me to perform all of the positions the way I used to. It is a gentle Yoga, so my students are sympathetic and understanding since they are requiring modifed poses as well.

I used to teach 10-12 classes a week and train over 20 clients. I miss them dearly.

Kind regards,
HONEY

#46 scampie5

scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hi. I started working in a factory that made what the dentist uses to numb your mouth. I cannot remember what it was called, however. I was 16 and got up one morning with 2 black and swollen eyes. Where I worked the manager said they had only ever seen 1 other person with this that worked there and it was a allergy reaction to the medication I was testing. From there on I left and did various jobs and continued to get more severe reactions to medications. In the last 20 years I have been a carer in the community and then went to work in residential as a senior and NVQ assessor, as well as health and safety training, infection control, etc.

Lynn

#47 Danielle's Mom

Danielle's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I graduated with a BS in Elementary Education in 1989. But only taught as a sub in Elementary and High School. I hated the High School kids. Actually it was the principal who didn't do his job.

I moved to Florida for 3 years and I worked in a maximum security prison. Wasn't bad at all!!!

After moving back to Indiana, I became a Child Protection Case Manager. I did this for 13 years. Right now I am off on long term disability to see if I can go back to work after completing my chemotherapy...

#48 chockers

chockers

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Me I was a carer. Home care for the elderly and mental health.
Done day centres for learning disk and older folk and support working
and agency work who sent me every where. All sorts of care.

I left in Feb 07 as my flare up came on very quickley. I was diagnosis Slc overlap with rheumatoid arthritis but very mobile on Mtx (methotrexate).

christine

#49 amberjolie

amberjolie

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

Got a B.Sc. in Chemistry, started off in R&D at a steel mill, went through Metallurgy, Purchasing, and finally now in Materials Management. My maternity leaves kind of sent me off to various departments, because when I'd get back the old department always had gone through changes where they didn't have a position for me anymore.

#50 Patty LaFave

Patty LaFave

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

I am also a registered nurse since 1987. I worked about 10 years as an Orthopedic nurse, first 2 years in a hospital, then next 8 years for an Orthopedic surgeon in his office. I crossed over into home health care, first did it part-time while I was still working in the surgeons office, then left office nursing and stayed in home health care until I had to stop working due to my decline in my health from my CREST in 2004. in 2004 I applied for social security disabilty and was approved after first applying 5 months later. I am much more stable over past 2 years, but with the severe chronic fatigue have not returned to work. Patty

#51 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:25 AM

My teaching career is now over after being given Ill Health retirement a year ago.

I didn't want to vegetate so began doing Tai Chi twice a week and have also done a beginners photography course and have just started an intermediate one. I'm also trying to get to grips with some embroidery software so that I can make up my own designs.

Buttons