Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Chest Pain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kamlesh

Kamlesh

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

All,

Last Thursday afternoon, I started having chest pain just underneath and left of my heart. I ignored it for a few hours thinking that it might be due to stomach gas or muscle pain. Later it started pulsating in the range of 4-8 on a scale of 1 through 10. Finally, at 7:30 pm, I decided to call my doctor. My doctor looked at my records and asked me to go to emergency room. Fortunately, my doctor had already notified ER and they were ready for me. Based my complex medical condition and family history, they decided to keep me overnight.

The first thing they did to put nitroglycerine patch over my heart and gave me an aspirin. My pain went away within half an hour.

They went through many blood tests to find any heart enzymes, X-rays, EKG, stress test with echo, etc. Finally, next day afternoon they ruled out any heart attack. I am still waiting for final readouts from the doctors, but initial conclusion was Esophageal Spasm. The pain center was so far away from the center of my body and left of my heart. This was my first encounter with Esophageal Spasm.

Anyone has gone through esophageal spasm?

Can it be a flare up of scleroderma as I just stopped Cellcept five days ago?

I have searched through internet and found few helpful sites, but not much insight on the disease. Everything I read so far suggests esophageal spasm has symptoms similar to heart attack and it needs to be taken seriously.

Suggestion from the ER doctor was not to wait next time 3-4 hours as I did.
Kind regards,

Kamlesh

#2 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hi Kamlesh,
I have suffered from these type of symptoms for the last 10 months, they seem to come in bouts and can last anywhere from 1 hour to a few days.

When I first got my first bout, it was before I was diagnosed with Scleroderma, it also sent me to the E.R where they performed all sorts of tests. They all came back clear, I also suffer from severe SOB when these attacks occur.
My SOB was so bad that walking 15 feet from the chair to the kitchen left me nearly gasping.

As I am answering your post now, I have noticed the last 30 minutes I am SOB again, and have a pressure feeling near my Sternum and windpipe area.

My Rheumatologist has referred me to see a Respiratory Physician (Pulmonologist), who I will get to see in a couple of months time. I hope that when I see the Respiratory Physician, someone will at least be able to diagnose what this is, or at least point me in the right direction.

I am also being investigated for PH, and may have to undergo a Right heart catheter. I wish I could help you but know that you are not alone in all of this, I too have seen somewhere on this forum about esophageal spasms.
This might be what I am suffering from afterall. I do know though that I have two different types of SOB.
1. is when I am out of breath even when mildly exerting myself
2. is when I get this feeling (heaviness) near my sternum and can be near windpipe, as if it is travelling there, It feels like a pressure feeling which leaves me SOB even when sitting down.

Take care and try not to worry too much as it only exasperates things.

Celia

#3 Gizelle

Gizelle

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

I had the same thing but the cardiologist says it's cornory artery spasms. The nitro works. They did freeze my esophogus and that didn't have any effect on the pain. My ecg's say abnormal T Waves, not too sure what that means. I'm seeing a Cardiologist tomorrow I'll let you know what he says. Gizelle

#4 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have had random chest pain for several years now. My Dr. has told me it is spasms too. It DOES feel like you'd imagine a heart attack would feel like. I've woken up with it before and have been in tears and would just pace the floor until it went away. It never occured to me that left sided chest pain could be from the esophagus, until my Dr. told me. I would get up, walk around, drink a lot of water and some times take Advil or Tums.
My heart is in great shape so I do believe mine was esophagus spasms.
Tangelo

#5 adensmore

adensmore

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

I've had esophageal spasms for 2 years. They can be quiet painful. The first time it happened I thought I was having a heart attack. It was terrible!! My doctor prescribed Nitroquik tablets and they take the pain away in minutes. I couldn't do with out it!!

April

#6 aniwallar

aniwallar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

Wow, this forum really help understand things. I had the same kind of pain for at least three days (on and off) when I decided to go to the ER. They did all kind of test and finally told me that it was just muscle pain or gas. Now I wonder if I was having what you guys are talking about. I've had that pain a couple of times. I will mention it to my doctor next time
Ani