Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Skin Crawlies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The bugs are back and crawling all over my face! It is SO frustrating!

I also have the cobwebs on my arms.....oh wait, no, that's my hair falling out! :lol:

Isn't this what hard core heroin addicts go through during withdrawl? Maybe I'm watching too much TV.

Anyway, just had to gripe a bit. The crawly sensations on my face are back and driving me nuts the past 2 days.

I always think disease is progressing when this and other symptoms come back so it does worry me a bit even though it isn't a serious thing - just annoying!

Good night all,
Have a pain free, bug free day tomorrow.

Love,
Barefut

#2 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

I've not had that feeling in a long time, I used to get the feeling as though cobwebs were on my shoulder blade, that was two years ago way before my scleroderma diagnosis. Weird :blink:

I hope that feeling passes soon Barefut.

Take care
Celia

#3 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

Oh Barefut,
I have those same sensations. For a while they weren't too bad but now seem to be getting worse. The cobwebs on my face, the creepy crawlers on my head and back and now also on my legs. I thought they were supposed to go away after a while, guess I was wrong! This drives me nuttier than I already am. Hope you have better luck than me in getting rid of them.

Sherion

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi Barefut,

I may be wrong (I often am!) but I believe the bug crawling sensations are usually called "sensory hallucinations". You'll need to do a web search on that.

There can be many causes of sensory hallucinations -- including the most common one, around here, being medication side effects or even kidney failure.

Some of us get the creepy crawlies (and other odd skin sensations like burning or tingling) when skin tightening is going on, but that is confined to the specific area(s) where the tightening is occuring, and other things (like burning/tingling or redness) are generally also happening in the same spots.

So, all in all, it's actually nothing to ignore, but rather something to report to your doctor right away, so they can get to the bottom of what's causing it.

Unless, of course, you are just warming up for Halloween. <LOL>
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

I get creepy crawlies in my legs and arms. my rheumatologist prescribed me lyrica which I found works best if I eat a banana every day. I'm so glad I found something that made them go away because they kept me awake. I'd try elevating my arms and legs but it only kind of helped.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#6 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Topic Starter
  • Bloggers
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Shelley,

My "bugs" are just on my face. I attributed it to skin tightening. I have told rheumatologist about it and thats what she said it probably was too. But I am going to look up sensory halluciantions now.

I also have noticed some new T-spots on my face and neck - like overnight! :o

B

#7 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Topic Starter
  • Bloggers
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

Well, as scleroderma patients I'm not sure we want to call our "cobwebs and bugs" sensory hallucinations. At least not according to what I read.

Anyway, I don't believe it is a hallucination but rather REAL sensory feelings brought about by our skin changing.

The feeling of a cobweb across our face or a spider in our hair that makes us brush our hands across our faces 100x/day or scratch our heads is not the same as someone on an LSD trip or someone with psychotic tendancies or someone with severe kidney or liver failure.

In addition to skin tightening, I suspect that maybe some of the cob webby feelings might also have something to do with vasoconstriction in the tiny capillaries in our face and scalp. Just a theory. I am certainly not an expert on ANYTHING! But it seems that it might make sense?

B

#8 jaxs

jaxs

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:36 AM

hey barefut,
i too have had that wierd cobwebby feeling on my face, people used to look at me like I was some sort of nutter trying to wipe it off haha!! but gladly its gone and hopefully urs will too and you will be cobwebby free :rolleyes: warm hugs jaxsxx
live life for today and not for tomorrow

#9 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:39 AM

Hi Barefut,

Yes, you are right, when it is in the area where skin tightening is occurring, then it is not a hallucination. I believe it would mostly be due to the nerve endings being impaired by the fibrosis, and it can also be caused by Raynaud's (which is usually more tingly or burning than cobwebby.)

But basically the "feelings" of the cobwebs and such would be very much the same as for people who are experiencing sensory hallucinations, which can have dozens of different causes, so it is very important for everyone who experiences this to report this symptom to their medical team for proper evaluation (as you have already done, of course) and not to assume that it is "just" scleroderma. Sometimes it is due to medication side effects (particularly steroids or pain medications), or to further complications or illnesses.

And of course, I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training at all, and I may be wrong -- I often am!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#10 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hi Barefut ,

I think back to the spring when Gareth was smacking his face all the time. I think one of you guys told me about the 'cobweb' feelings then. Sorry they have come back to 'haunt you' again. Couldn't resisit that....it's October and Halloween coming!!!

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#11 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Topic Starter
  • Bloggers
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Cute Margaret! :lol: :rolleyes:

My favorite Hallowday....... :blink:

BOO!
Barefut

#12 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:17 AM

Hi Everyone,

I don't think you can rule out stress as a factor in the creepy crawlies. Shortly after Jordan was diagnosed, I starting having a numb, tingling sensation in my face and up the back of my neck. I was brushing an imaginary cobweb or hair off my face or arm several times a day. I was actually relieved anytime there was something to actually brush off. I went through a series of tests, x-rays, an MRI, and a consult with a neurologist before he concluded that I was stressed. Whenever I start to really think about Jordan's illness, and its impact on her future, I can feel the sensations starting up again.

Take care,

Jennifer