Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Dr The Wont Return Calls My Vent For Today!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:49 AM

I posted on Monday that I found out that I have ventricular diastolic dysfunction. As soon as I got back to town I went by the general practitioner's office and left the Cardios report for him. I was told by the office staff that he would get back to me on it. WRONG WRONG WRONG!! I can't not understabd a Dr the won't call a person. Maybe I am making too much out of this but I think that if a person calls a dr the dr or the staff should at least return the call. Its not like I called worried about a hang nail or something like that. I need meds to keep my heart pumping correctly. I can not change doctors because about 2 years ago I quit working to raise my grand daughter and now I have state insurance and this is the only dr in my town that takes the insurance . (To be honest I go to the clinic now.) I called the dr again on wed only to find out he was out untill today so I called again today at 9 AM and it's now alomst 5:30m and still no call. I called his office at about 5:05 and it was closed. I am so mad right now I could spit nails. Is this an emergency, no is it mportant, yes. This dr won't even give me pain meds without giving me a hard time. He gives me 15 at a time and writes the RX out as " take 1 -2 a day as needed for joint pain. If I need to take 3 in one day that means I have to go a day in pain for longer because I can't get a refill for exactly 7-8 days. I really need to have a long chat with this guy as soon as I can to find out how many sclero/dermatomyositis people he has treated because I swear I have to be the first one for him due to the treatment I get.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Hugs,
Patty
Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hi Patty,

I am so sorry you are having such a frustrating time getting your doctor to respond. It sounds totally irresponsible in my very humble opinion! I mean, as you said, this is serious. I am pretty sure I remember you saying the cardiologist told you not to do anything or lift anything until the meds got it under control. Well, as you know, that isn't exactly going to happen until he prescribes the med! GRRRR...I am venting for you! I sure wish you could find another doctor. This one just doesn't seem responsive at all!

Please take it easy this weekend and let us know how it goes on Monday!

Warm wishes,
Heidi

P.S. Couldn't the doctor who gave you the diagnosis of ventricular diastolic dysfunction give you the prescription?

#3 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi Patty,

This sounds like something that might actually require an appointment, to discuss the test results plus possible treatments. I am sure he would want to review all your meds for interactions plus explain any possible side effects to you.

Why not make an appointment to see him next week? Then you will surely have his attention! And if you also need to discuss the pain med issue, you may need to make a separate appointment for that (or ask for a longer appointment when you are booking it.)

He might be limiting your pain meds just for the very reason you mention...since if it says to take 1-2 a day, it does not mean that 3 is okay. In the first place, that might be dangerous, but it could also help you build up a tolerance that would make the lower doses less effective. If it is simply not enough at the prescribed dose, it might mean that the med just isn't working for you and that you should be switched to something, perhaps a med delivered by patch so that you are getting a steady stream of it, which would eliminate the periods of going without it completely.

But of course, I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training at all (etc.). It's just that I would tend to approach these as two separate appointments, since they are a lot of ground to cover in just the few minutes they allow for an appointment.

It can be a real eye opener to ask the appointment clerk how long the appointment is set for, too. Many clinics book five or ten minute appointments, so our doctor's teeth are setting on edge when the appointment runs over even by a few minutes, meanwhile we are merrily assuming we have a half hour or even an hour appointment, and wonder why their attitude has turned edgy or sour. Separating the issues out, keeping the discussion streamlined and focused on results (i.e. I am here to get a prescription for such-and-such), requesting longer appointment times when booking, and separating it out into several different visits can take stress off both the patient and the doctor.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#4 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

The Dr called shortly after I posted this. I need to have a MRI of my hip. I will be seeing him on Monday to go over almost everything Shelley said. He is worried that I am building up a tolerance of the meds and that because of the sclero, the med could slow down my bowels and cause an abstruction that could end up needing surgery. He also said that the pain I am in could be something besides the sclero. He really is a very smart dr,, just very busy. I will let you know what happens after I see him monday. In the mean time I am going to just resta nd hang out for the wekend. What a good excuse to be a couch potato this wekend!

Hugs,
Patty
Hugs,
Patty

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

Goody gumdrops! I'd say that's just what the doctor ordered...an appointment! :rolleyes:
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#6 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Oh I forgot to say that he is not giving me the meds untill he talks to the dr that did the heart catha nd the pulm. dr that said I need the meds and then he needs ot talk to my rhummy to make sure that ths is not going to do me harm with the sclero. he also needs ot know what amount they want me on etc etc. He is smart doing this I guess so I now need to take a chill pill and relax!
Hugs,
Patty

#7 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hi Patty,

That is really good news.......I am glad that your doctor called back and appears to be so thorough! Do keep us posted on how your appointment goes on Monday.

Warm wishes,
Heidi