Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

101 Things I Didn't Want To Ask My Doctor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:38 AM

I've just been doing some work (still on unpaid study leave) and was reading in a paper about peoples reluctance, for a number of reasons to ask their doctor questions. Don't know about anyone else but I know I don't ask everything, usually because I don't want to appear stupid or neurotic or both. That set me thinking that there should be a book called "101 things I didn't want to ask my doctor" that is gven to all sclero patients, which would answer those oh so important questions that seem too stupid or embarrasing to ask! I Think it would be a bestseller!

What questions would you put in?
Mine would be: how can I tell if my fingers are curling?

Well,better get back to work as have written less than 250 words today and deadline fast approaching.

#2 Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

cool topic!! I guess my question would be: How do I know if its sclero or just getting older.

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#3 barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

Great Idea Lizzie!

My question would have been, "So, what's my prognosis doctor?"

There are so many other questions regarding bizzare and wacky symptoms that go unasked for fear of sounding like a hypochondriac.

I am going to the doctor today (for flu shot) and the question I won't ask is , "What is with the bump under my toes?" He'd probably say, "Get the rock out of your shoe" :lol:

(Is it not cool to smiley-laugh at your own jokes?)

#4 lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

but I can Barefut- made me laugh :lol:

#5 TJ903

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

I guess my question would be ' If it is sclero have we tried absolutely everything, or is the insurance company designing my treatment plan?'

My doctor seems to not care about my total skin involvement and is on a wait and see protocol. My lungs, heart and kidneys are mildly involved, and they haven't gotten worse. So in his opinion that's what's important, not the skin.

#6 truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

My question would be: How much do you know about this condition? It's rare, I believe 1 in 30,000? So how many patients do you or have you had with this condition?

I'm amazed when they throw a number out there like 8, 12, etc. You know it's not true. My general practitioner admits, "I'm no expert on this", but somehow I see him sitting at the computer late at night researching. I feel this, because he has taken a different approach, is totally hands on, and is starting to vocally express his opinion of the rheumatologist's stance on all of this. On Wednesday, I'm going to a rheumatologist of his suggestion and I have called a wound care center to make a visit for a second opinion. I'm starting to get angry, which makes me pro active to take steps for myself in order to heal. My sons may have deserted me, but I'm gonna fool them too and get better to the best of my ability with or without them.

It is what it is...........

#7 aniwallar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

I would ask for a list of all the test available for this. Everytime I go the doctor talks about a new test. It would be nice to know in advance what kind of test I would probably need and for what, specially if I feel I need one in particular.