Do visit our News Forum for the latest, up to date, stellar information on Scleroderma! We also have the Medical News on our sidebar on the right of the Forums' topic thread lists.

Photo

Blotchy, Red Patches Of Dry Skin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy

Tammy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

I have noticed for the last few months when I get out of the shower that I have these bright red patches of skin, mostly on my trunk and arms. After my skin has cooled back down they are just circular patches of dry skin. I was just wondering if any of you have this problem and if it could be sclero related and something that I need to bring up to the rheumatologist.

Thanks

Tammy

#2 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

it sounds like dry skin, I really dont know if its related to sclero but you can mentioned it to the doctor and he can tell you what to put on it. I use an over the counter lotion and just love it. You can PM me for the brand name, if you want. Sam
Sam

#3 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Tammy I was told by my Dr not to take hot showers. She said it was very bad for our skin.... it drys it out. I have to take lukewarm ones and its helped with some of the itching.
Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#4 MicheleM

MicheleM

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

My daughter gets something similar & for her it turned out to be ring worm. The warmth aggrivates the fungus, etc. If natural methods don't work you might want to think about a dr visit &/or an antifungal cream. Check with your dr at least to see if an over-the-counter medication might work if the fungus is a possibility!
Soft hugs your way,

Michele

#5 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

HI Tammy,
I had this also last year on my back, it was very noticeable when I got out of the shower. During the day time it would look like round patches of dry skin but a faded red colour. I went to see my G.P and she said it was a fungal problem and to apply Canestan Cream twice daily for a few weeks, which I did, It has now gone. Regarding the itching, mine wasn't itchy at all.

Take care
Celia

#6 Tammy

Tammy

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for the replies!! That takes a load off!!

Ced~~ My problem sounds just like yours...I started using some clotrimazole cream today!!

That brings me to another question... I read that an infection can cause the ANA test to be positive. Since this has been going on for a few months, is it possible that this caused mine to be positive?

Big thanks and hugs to you all!!! ~~~Tammy~~~

#7 kelowna52

kelowna52

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hello Tammy, I just wanted to let you know it sounds like what you have going on is the same thing I have. I went into my Dermo. and he said it is Pruigo Nodularis. He gave me a couple of differant steroid creams to use and injected steroids right into a couple of the lesions. Mine are itchie sometimes, but I find the skin around the lesions is more itchy, maybe that's it's way of telling me another lesion is coming, who knows. He did say I'm not to use any soap other than on private parts. And no bath salts of any kind, or those nylon poofy balls. He said all of those things would just irritate the lesions and make them worse. They don't know what causes it and basically sometimes it goes away in time for some people, for others it can spread and get worse. So I guess we just have to wait and see. Good luck to you.

Jackie S.

#8 epasen

epasen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

Tammy, I've noticed same kind of things, but I'm not sure what they are. I hope someone knows the answer.
Emmi