Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Sun And Scleroderma

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Rachelle

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

I am also a sun lover and unfortunately I am a redhead!! What about skin involvment?? doesn't some kind of UV rays help with this? Are the rays the same as the suns rays and tanning beds?

#22 lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hi Rachelle, when I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago I also saw the dermatologist and she suggsets soem UV treatment as not only would it be good for my psorasis but also siad could help with SSC skin thickening. I meant to read up about it but haven't , so don't know what is the difference is between the Uv treatment and natural sunlight - I assume ther must be otherwise it would not seem a good idea for those with SSc.

#23 bowbec

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:53 AM

I went to Bahamas in March- wasn't diagnosed until October. I used 30 sunscreen and got an all over tan. HA HA! I couldn't figure it out how my bottom and breast got tan until I got the diagnosis. It lasted for more than a year... Was it the sun or the Scleroderma? I Think both!
When people commented on my tan I just said thanks. No one knows what Scleroderma is...Got tired of trying to explain. It's like... Have you got two hours to discuss this?
However, people thought I was crazy when I told them I didn't get in the sun or tanning beds.
Have Fun!
Diagnosed with Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma May 2005
Raynaud's, GI, esophagus, skin and lung involvement.

#24 beedee

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

I've been wondering about the sun as well. Going to Florida for two weeks in May/June, and although I've only been diagnosed with morphea, makes me wonder if I have to worry about the sun or not. We'll be spending a week in Disney, which means a week out in the hot and powerful sun! I am very fair skinned and I burn to a crisp easily! I have always been faithful with the sunscreen though. I do start UVB therapy on Tuesday, so that will give me a bit of a gradual tan. Will talk to my dermatologist about it when I see him in April.