Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

New Question - Having Hard Time Talking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

I have noticed lately that my husband says "speak up" and my sister asks me if I have a sore throat or cold. I don't but I notice that it's harder to speak up and feels like the symptoms of a sore throat even though I don't have one. Does anyone else have this? Is this part of this disease also? I had an endoscopy and have the really bad esophogus with hiatial hernia and really bad acid reflux which they say is part of the scleroderma. They are watching for Barrett's syndrome (sp?) also being the esophagus is so bad so I'm wonderng if this is from the disease and makes my voice harder to hear.

Thanks and boy do I hate this cold weather coming in being I live in the Midwest!

Peggy

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hi Peggy ,

My son was diagnosed last Nov with UCTD/prob sine Sclero. By Dec, he had little or no voice and it was that way till he started Plaquenil in June. Then, his voice came back. Depending on the doctor, it was the vocal cords hardening or because the lungs were restricted. His epiglottis was swollen and huge, too. You need air into the lungs to exhale and have a voice but it hurt him to breathe in deeply due to the inflammmed chest/rib cavity area.....it's a circle where one affects the other.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 Piper

Piper

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hi Peggy, I know that the reflux causes the same problems with my voice when it's bad. I know it's the reflex because I have burning and pain in my chest and throat as well. I've been putting off going to the Dr.s to see about it as I know that I'm probably to blame for the increase in reflux. Now if the kids would get the holiday chocolate out of the house I might be okay! ;)
Take care,
Hugs, Piper