Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Is This Esophogus Trouble

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

Lately, whenever I eat, my food seems to get stuck at the very top of my throat. Is this wht happens when the esophogus needs to be stretched? I'm havina an EGD on the 18th to check on how an ulcer is healing. Will the doctor see this trouble at that time?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Stay warm,
Sherion

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi Sherion ,

Last Oct, when Gareth was grabbing at his throat, the GI doctor ordered a swallowing test. That showed that G's problem wasn't in swallowing, but that the food stopped 1/3 of the way down.....esophageal dismotility. It wouldn't go any further until he took another bite or washed it down with liquids. The tech said that even though he was grabbing his throat, the food was getting stuck further down. It's only a sensation that it is stuck in your throat. As for stretching the esophagus.....I don't know. Gareth was on Plaquenil for 3 months before he told me that his 'esophagus is working.' Best of luck to you with the EGD....I assume that's an endoscopy?

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

Margaaret,

Thanks for the reply. I have already been told that I have motility problems but this is the first time I've had this feeling in my throat. Yes, the EGD is an endoscopy. I had one two months ago that showed an ulcer so the doctor wants to see if the meds have helped to heal it. I know just how Gareth felt. Swallowing liquids really does not seem to help even though I keep trying it. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

Thanks again.

Sherion

#4 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi Sherion,

I get the same feeling if I over eat or have caffiene or chocolate. I don't think anything is really stuck, it just feels like a lump there. The feeling goes away for after an hour or so.

I have motility problems too. I think that's the feeling it causes.

Feel better soon.

#5 beanie

beanie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

I have had the same problem. I had my first dilation at 21 after going a whole wkend without being able to get anything down, barely water. I have always been one who had to drink alot with meals to help "wash" it down. I go every 6 months, and have been for many years, for an upper endoscopy and dilation. I can always tell when it is getting close to the time for another because sandwiches and meats especially are hard to go down and feel "stuck" easily.

#6 bunny pomar

bunny pomar

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:28 AM

I have had the same problem with swallowing my food. It felt like it plugged up and the only way I could unplug it was to throw it up. The doctor put me on reglan and previcid. You take the reglan about 20 minutes before you eat and it helps to relax the esophagus so that the food goes down. The prevacid is for the GERD. I also had my esophagus stretched during an endoscopy a few times, that helped also. I have almost no motility in my GI tract and now am on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) for nourishment. I can't eat anything solid, just clear liquids. If I eat something I get very sick. Good luck with endoscopy.

Bunny

#7 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers.
Bunny, I've been on reglan for a while now. The doctor reduced my dosage in half so maybe I need to go back on the full dosage.

Barefut, I don't have to over eat to get that 'stuck in the throat' feeling. It happens after only a few bites.

Beanie, I could drink a half glass of water and the food still feels stuck. I'm almost looking forward to the endoscopy just to get relief.

Thanks again,

Sherion

#8 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi Sherion, I get the lump in the throat that feels like there is some bolus of food stuck ( which I'm sure there isn't) along with coughing when eating but don't have it permanently, It just occurs for a day or two (in fact have it at the moment) and then feels OK. Its very different to the feeling I have when there really is something stuck my throat ( usually when I have been reckless enough to eat something dry like toast) that makes me cough and cough until I vomit and which leaves my throat feeling scratched. I've never had/needed a dilatation.
Lizzie

#9 bunny pomar

bunny pomar

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

sherion,

I never found drinking after something got stuck to help. I could only feel the water rising in my esophagus like it was coming back up. I take 10 mg. of reglan with a third if I need it. My situation is alittle different now because I eat nothing at all. I am nourished by TPN, with is an IV 12 hour a day drip. It is administered through my portocath which has now truly become my lifeline.

Good luck, Bunny

#10 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Lizzie and Bunny.

Lizzie, thats exactly how I feel. It's not all the time but often enough to be troublesome. It does seem at times that I need to throw up.

Bunny, I'm really sorry that you have to have the TPN. Is that due to a swallowing problem?

I just hope that the doctor finds out something during my endoscopy and can fix it.

Sherion

#11 bunny pomar

bunny pomar

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:49 AM

I take the TPN because my stomach doesn't absorb anything, it just sits in there and get very distended, nauseous and throw up. I have a small tube in my stomach to hook up to a suction pump that I use when I feel distended and sick to my stomach. It happens periodically eventho I don't eat.

Bunny

#12 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

Bunny, Thanks for th info on the TPN. I'm sorry you need one but I guess the other option would be worse!

Sherion