Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Appetite Troubles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danceswithcats

danceswithcats

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I've had SD for 7 years now as a component of my MCTD. The appetite being nonexistent has always been a big problem, with bouts of severe malnutrition with me living on a liquid diet or nothing at all at times for days. At times, even liquids would not go down, so on top of the appetite being nonexistent, the swallowing has been a big problem.

Just a couple of months ago, my pulmonologist prescribed Megace. It really helps. I don't eat plates full of food at meals, but I do eat 3 meals a day and some snacking in between! This is a big big difference for me! I looked up Megace on the net and discovered that it is an appetite stimulant that is used most commonly in AIDS patients. The stuff helps me a lot.

Just thought I'd pass it on. As SD patients go what works for one, doesn't work for another, but information is always good to have. I've experienced no side effects with the stuff either, which I can't say is true with all new drugs I've been given. If you're like me, you're a bit leery when the dr says 'let's try this!' LOL Good luck all.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi Danceswithcats,

I'm sorry you have loss of appetite (among everything else) but glad you've found something that works for you. We have a section on Loss of Appetite, which is a common symptom of scleroderma and/or complications, on our main site at:
http://www.sclero.or...z.html#appetite
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Denelle

Denelle

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the idea... I may bring this up when I see my gastroenterologist. Having an appetite may be better than snacking on unhealthy things (like sweets).. and this could perhaps help me lose weight.

Thanks for the info,
Denelle B)