Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Should I See My Primary Dr

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

I have been toying with whether or not I should go to the dr. I have been coughing at night, even with raised bed, Zantac and half way watching what I eat/drink before bed (I could do better). It hurts when I take deep breaths but I am not coughing and there is not sputum. No fever. Basically, I feel fine other than that it hurts deep down when I breathe. I do have a GI appt. next week so I could wait and see him. I think the dr. today would probably do labs and make me go somewhere for a chest xray....

Since I do not have many symptoms maybe I am ok, but I just worry. Maybe this is what the combo of GERD and ILD are supposed to feel like.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hi Jen,

I'm sorry you're still not feeling any better. Since you're in doubt, I'd suggest calling your primary care physician's office and ask to speak to the nurse. They can tell you whether you need to be seen now, or whether it's something that can wait.

Is it hurting only at night? I'm prone to pleurisy, but it hurts around the clock and even with shallow breaths when I get it (very sharp, stabbing pain). But I'm hard put to tell what your "normal" should feel like. I don't notice differences in chest pain with breathing when I have heartburn, it just seems to hurt all the time then, although it is certainly worse (or sometimes, starts) when I lay down. Who knows though, everyone could be different.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training, bladda bladda bladda. So perhaps your nurse could either ease your mind or set an appointment for you? Let us know how it turns out.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Thanks. I just left a message with the nurse. THe pain when I breathe hurts all the time (for months now) and not just at night. At night is when I often wake up coughing, even afer we raised our bed. When I take Cellcept, I have to drink 8ounces of water with them (recommended) and I have to take it near bed time due to the fact that it has to be taken on an empty stomach, so it becomes difficult to go to bed without liquids.

Ugh. I'll let ya'll know what happens. I start worrying about aspiration pneumonia, which I had when I was diagnosed with sclero and didn't even know I had it.

#4 peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hey Jen,
I'm sorry breathing hurts. That's sucky. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't show any signs of getting better within 1-1.5 weeks I call the doctor. Maybe it's a little paranoid but I figure anything minor will typically clear up in that time.

Maybe your lung muscles are tired. They need a vacation & a few umbrella drinks.

Ari says Hi.

hearts, peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...