Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Rate Of Skin Thickening

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have noticed ( or imagined - not sure whether is real or am just being neurotic) in the last couple of weeks that the skin or my hands, fingers and arms has suddenly changed. there was already some mild thickening but now feels thicker and tight. Also think I am feeling some tightening in skin on my legs ( or again I may be imagining it!). If it is happening I'm just a bit suprised at the rate of change as have been diagnosed as having probable limited SSc (although to be honest have never been quite sure whether that meant probable limited as opposed to not having SSC at all or probable limited as opposed to having possible diffuse SSC). I had thought that progression was usually very slow with limited - I have been diagnosed for 18 months and up until the last couple of weeks had been very little change except for my face. Just wondering what the rate of skin thickening /tightening has been for others ( both limited and diffuse).
Lizzie

#2 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hey Lizzzzzie,
I have progressive diffuse scleroderma but my skin really isn't too bad. Mine is mainly upper body, arms, chest and face. Treatments likecyclophosphamide can make give your skin back its suppleness and softness - it has for me.

I guess that's the hard part about Scleroderma. There are no hard and fast rules for it so if you have limited it doesn't necessarily determine the rate at which your skin tightens.

If you think you're experiencing a significant change you should call your primary care physician or rheumatologist.

happy new year,
peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#3 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

Mine seems to primarily affect my right side, although in recent weeks, I have been noticing my ankles and calves being affected in addition to skin discoloration of my left arm.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#4 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

I too have noticed something going on too not sure if its skin tightening or if I am retaining water. I'm thinking it both. But not sure. Calling the doctor on Monday I really need to be seen again, stil not feeling good I felt good yesterday but today I'm back at square one.
Sam

#5 millerscrossing

millerscrossing

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

This " Is it really happening or am I imagining it " stuff is a real pain .I have the same issue with my hands, feet and arms...is that discoloration, are my hands getting shinier....one thing I do know, when ever nurses needed to draw blood or insert an IV it was a drama, really tough to find my veins......

Is that a tell tale sign - do es everyone with sclero have difficulty finding their veins when blood needs to be drawn??

#6 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hey James,

Happy New Year.
I was always told Sclero patients are hard draws. They don't even try my left arm. The skin is just way, way too tight. I was told to drink lots of water. Sometimes they use a heating blanket to bring the veins out. Some sclero peoples get central pic lines put in to avoid the whole mess.

Take care, peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...