Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Hard Lumps Under Skin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri

Cheri

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with limited. It started almost two months ago when I had blood work done because I was so tired and had achy joints. Based on my appt. a month ago, they diagnosed me with limited. Since then, I have very puffy fingers, can't make a fist during the night (when I wake up during the night I always try because I still can't believe I have something like this and it will just go away), the palms of my hands feel tight, and now I'm getting kind of like hard bumps under my skin on my hands. They're not like the calcium bumps, they are just kind of roundish, hard bumps that kind of track together and hurt, if that makes any sense. Does anybody else have this? I was going to wait until my next appt. with the rheumatologist and ask which was supposed to be next week, but I was supposed to have an echocardiogram and a nerve test before my next visit and the nurse kept forgetting to set it up. She finally asked me if I would call her on New Years day and leave a message to remind her so she would remember to do it when she returned on Wednesday. Well, I am still trying to remind her. Now she wants me to reshecule my appointment for another month so she can get the tests set up and have the results. So, I'm really frustrated to say the least. Anyway, I thought if your skin got hard, it started at your fingers. I have searched but can't find anything about this or don't know what to call it. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm sorry this is so long, but all this is so new. I so appreciate this website, it has been such a comforting place to go. It makes me feel not quite so alone.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheri

#2 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hi Cheri~
I am so sorry that you are suffering.

I read that you dont think that the bumps are from calcium, but I think that symptoms apear differently in everyone...i have had similar bumps on my hands that go away with time (thank goodness) but they dont fit "the mold" so to speak. I still believe them to be a type of calcinosis. Of course the only one to diagnosis this correctly is your doctor. I hope that he/she is able to really answer this question for you. Please keep us informed, and take special care of yourself in the meantime.

You may want to read over a few of these articles for some more info on calcinosis: calcinosis
*WestCoast*

#3 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

Hi Cheri:

I get the little round lumps. Presently I have two (together) under my skin of my left forearm for the last almost three years. Every now and again, I get a pasty white thick discharge from them then a pop of a calcium deposit leaving a large hole. Just repeats itself over and over again. I barely keep track of it anymore.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#4 Cheri

Cheri

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

Thank you very much. I had no clue they could be calcium deposits. I looked at the picture and mine didn't look like that, so I didn't think that's what it was. I have some on one hand but they're not really sore, but the new ones on the other hand are very hard and sore. Thanks, again, I really appreciate the replies.

Cheri

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

Tru...
I wonder if that was a calcium deposit I had, years ago. I had these two painful (really painful) sores in my armpit once. My bf at the time and I were referring to them as boils, we had no clue. THis chalky white stuff came out of them too, and it took forever for them to finally release it all. I never went to the Dr., this was pre sclero times. I just remember it hurt when I moved my arm. Yuck.
Do you think this was what it was?
xoTangelox0whox0willx0beinx0floridax0nextweekx0

#6 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Jen:

Under the arm sounds like a boil, but the white chalky stuff sounds like the deposits. I get those and others which erupt and leave rock hard amber colored scabs for about 2 months, then fall off. If you attempt to remove them yourself, they come back and seem to multiply, so I just leave them alone and take the gout medicine for it. It seems to lessen the eruptions.
Tru

It is what it is...........