Do visit our Fun and Friendship Forum for smiles and laughter! There's great recipes in Sclero Kitchen, too!!

Photo

Painful Legs And Arms...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hello Forum,
I am not even sure how to explain this but lately I have had sore legs and arms. They dont ache, but it hurts to touch....even just a little. Mainly my arms and legs but my back and chest are also painful to touch.????

Any ideas?

Thanks!
*WestCoast*

#2 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hi Erin,

I have had scleroderma for 10 years now, but I had sore legs and arms, (and hands and feet), in the early years with it. I also had a sore back and chest, and I agree that it IS hard to explain too! The best I could do was that it felt like a deep seated sunburn just under the skin.

When my hands were sore I used to wear soft gloves for most things, and put foam rubber on door handles as I could not stand touching things. I needed a sheepskin steering wheel cover for the car too. My legs and arms felt similar in that I did not like touching them, or have anything touch them. That caused problems with what clothes to wear too!

I understand it is something to do with the build up of excess collagen under the skin causing inflammation. Try wearing very soft clothes next to your skin. Also increase your use of moisturizers all over.

I hope your pain simmers down really soon!

#3 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:33 AM

Hi Erin,

I too have experienced the pain (I called it hyper sensitivity) that you are describing. As with all of my symptoms, it seems to come and go. But when I first got diagnosed with UCTD it was really bad and I just couldn't stand to be touched. Sherrill has some great ideas...I hope you can find some relief and that it passes soon as it did for me.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#4 whirlway

whirlway

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:25 AM

Thank you! During the time before I was diagnosis, my skin was extremely sensitive, couldn't stand to have anyone or anything touch me. My doctors and everyone else thought I was going crazy. Now I know I am not alone. It doesn't happen as often now, but when it does, it still drives me crazy.
Erin, hope these symptoms go away soon. Sherrill had some very good ideas to help alleviate some of the pain. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you. These won't hurt. :)
~whirlway

#5 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for your help. I feel better knowing that I am not all alone with this symptom. And you all have great ideas on how to feel better. :)
*WestCoast*

#6 ravenmist

ravenmist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

Hi Erin.

My name is Deedra and I have had linear scleroderma for 20 years. I was 6 and have been in remission since I was eight. I lived in Massachusetts and would get really bad pains and cramps in the affected area of my leg. It got so bad at times I couldn't walk. I went into remission when I moved to Florida and I find that I only get pains and cramps when I'm in cold weather. It took 2 years for me to get a correct diagnosis by a doctor in Miami. He never put me on any medication, but suggested I get moved somewhere hot. I've been in Florida ever since and have no clue how I went into remission or for how long I will remain. I do know that cold weather does not help. :)

#7 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:48 AM

Well, well, well, once again it's not just me!

I felt like a total idiot telling my doctor about this symptom early on. It was hard to describe and so I just said I feel very tender - like a bruise wherever I'm touched.

I'm feeling that symptom again in full force right now too. My 4 year old likes to give love pats and when he does that to me it feels like I've been shot with a bb gun. :blink:

#8 annkd

annkd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hi Erin: I have scleroderma and fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist has suggested that my pain is most likely from the fibro. Don't know, but I thought I'd pass that on. My arms, legs hips and ribs can barely be touched without my wincing in pain. Getting dressed is a real chore. Best of luck..stay warm! - Ann