Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Ulcer......or Not ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

Last night I noticed my right thumb was feeling tender to touch, around the nail. I thought the skin had come away from underneath the nail (you know, quite normal at times). I cut and cleaned all my nails short and I couldn't see a thing there, although it felt sore. This morning I woke early due to a swollen, throbbing and very painful thumb. When I look at it I can see a round, yellow/purple coloured sore under the nail (right where it joins the fingertip). Also the skin on the very tip of the thumb and down to the first knuckle is so tight it feels almost numb (except for the pain if that makes sense)

I have read through the links here on ulcers, but can't find any simple info on how they start or if what I'm experiencing is the start of one. Of all my swollen/bent fingers, the thumbs were the only ones that felt and looked normal...until now ! I can't even use my thumb to stir a cuppa or pull up my pants its so painful.

I would love to hear from anyone whos had these and can describle how they start. Does what I'm experiencing sound like an ulcer and is it possible to develop these basically overnight. The skin was not tight or sore until now. I hope that I have just gotten something under there with knowing it at the time.

I am so grateful I can come to this forum and ask my questions and get support from so many wonderful people. Thankyou !

Warmly,
Karen

#2 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

Karen I have had only one ulcer and it was many years ago. I really can't remember how it start out. I'm thinking it comes out from under the skin. And it hurts alot. Mine was a pin size ulcer and got a little bigger and I remember it had a dark dot on it.

Did you have a hang nail or something by the nail and clipp it while doing our nails the other night?
Sam

#3 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

The ulcers I ever got and continue to get have never started under the nail. It's always been at the tips of the fingers or toes and sometimes the sides (outside) of the cuticle.

If it's throbbing and very painful, I would certainly check with your doctor. We go through enough without additional things piled on.

Keep us posted.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#4 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

I went to the Dr and he had to put a needle into it from under the nail. A lot of pus came out and I am now on antibiotics. He said something about poor circulation. I don't think he knew either. It was probably just something that got under the nail. I just worried because it has never happened before and there are lots of new things happenning now, I thought this might be related. It was very sore.

Do ulcers have pus ?

Thanks for replying,
Karen

#5 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:34 AM

HI Karen,
I have gotten ulcers that started under the nail in the past. If I bang my finger and it happens to be cold well then it starts. All of my ulcers start with pus. Take the antibiotics and if it is not fully cleraed up by the end of the meds go back to the dr immediately.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#6 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:58 AM

HI KAREN,

MY ULCER DID NOT START THAT WAY. IT STARTED ON THE PALM SIDE OF THE FINGER TIP.

BUT I HAVE HAD NAIL INFECTIONS. ONE WAS JUST RECENTLY. IT SOUNDS SIMILIAR. ONE DAY MY THUMB NAIL FEELS SORE THE NEXT IT IS TIGHT AND THROBBING. DOES IT FEEL WARM?

MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON AN ANTIBIOTIC CIPRO. IT TAKES A COUPLE DAYS AND IT FEELS MUCH BETTER.

I HAD THIS A FEW YEARS AGO. MY DOCTOR TRIED OTHER ANTIBIOTICS ONLY CIPRO HELPED. IT LINGERED FOR WEEKS AND I HAD TO HAVE MY NAIL TAKEN OFF. THIS TIME 4 DAYS I WAS ON CIPRO. I DEVELOPED A DARK SPOT AND NOW THAT IS GONE, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE NAIL HAS SEPERATED A LITTLE.

DON'T LET IT GO TO LONG. I KNOW IT REALLY HURTS. IT HELPS TO ELEVATE IT. HOPE IT FEELS BETTER SOON.

#7 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi Karen,
Hopefully your doctor is a good one and the pus is hopefully a sign that this is indeed an infection. My first thought was gangrene, mine started under the nail like that, so I'm always really nervous about black spots under the nail.. I also had that nail separating from the finger thing going on. Keep on top of it, I wish you a speedy recovery, our hands are just so tender and we use and need them so much! No one can appreciate that like we fellow sufferers!
Peace,
Karen

#8 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

Terri...my thumb felt the way you described, but is feeling better now since the antibiotics.
Karen L.....the pus is gone but there is still a dark spot under the nail and the nail is still separated from the finger in that spot. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Thanks again....Karen :)