Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Starting Uvb Light Therapy On Tuesday

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beedee

beedee

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

I got a call from the hospital on Thursday and returned their call on Friday. I will begin UVB light therapy on Tuesday morning. Hopefully this, with the new ointment will really improve my morphea! Just thought I would let you all know

#2 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Hi beedee,

Please let us know how the UVB light therapy goes. My daughter's rheumatologist says to ask her dermatologist about it. Another expert rheumatologist (from this sight) has told me he doesn't think it's effective. Still, it might work for some people, right? I hope it helps you--I assume it's to reduce the discoloration, right?

Jennifer

#3 beedee

beedee

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hi Jennifer!
I sure hope this light therapy improves things. I am using 4 different ointments with the light therapy. My dermatologist has me on a stronger steroid on my arm and hand, and a weaker one on my chest. I am using an immunosuppressant on all spots, but I am waiting to hear back from my dermatologist as he may have to take me off it due to the light therapy. I was given a link to a study that compared the effectiveness of the different light therapies. It is:

A randomized controlled study of low-dose UVA1, medium-dose UVA1, and narrowband UVB phototherapy in the treatment of localized scleroderma.

I just hope this works, will let you know how it goes!

Danielle

#4 reese

reese

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

Beedee-

Are you able to get UVA-1 light therapy where you are getting your treatment? There have been a lot of studies out recently that suggest it is more effective then UVB.

I had UVA-1 light therapy for 3 months, 3 times a week, for morphea on my legs and stomach while I was pregnant. I had to stop short of the full treatment because it was too uncomfortable as I was getting too big. However, the treatments did greatly help shrink the sizes of the morphea and some spots actually disappeared.

I will probably start up the treatment again to try and knock out the rest of the morphea now that I have had my baby. I look forward to hearing how you improve and wish you luck.

Reese

#5 beedee

beedee

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

Unfortunately, only the UVB light therapy is available at the hospital in my area. I do hope this works, any improvement will be good. If this doesn't work, my dermatologist gave me a prescription for steroid injections to brig to my next appointment.