Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Changing Hands........

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:14 AM

I'm wondering if it's possible for someone with Scleroderma, to have the puffy/swollen fingers and then within one day they are gone and the fingers look completely normal.

This has happened to me today, for the first time in months, my fingers are straight, not sore and the swelling is gone. Actually they look like old hands because of all the wrinkles, which I am not used to seeing :blink:

While I am thrilled to have "normal" fingers again, it worries me that they will stay this way when I see the rhuematologist for the first time on the 28th Feb. Am I crazy for wanting my hands/fingers to look the way they did before so he can view them at their worst ? The way I look now no-one would believe how bad they were.

Also strange because I have just finished some anti-inflamatories which I think didn't make a difference. Now that im off them the swelling goes ! How normal is this, is this common ?

Thanks in advance:)

Karen

Undiagnosed ATM

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi Karen,
I don't think that happened to me but if it did it would have been about 15 years ago. As fo wanting them to look bad when you go the dr, no you are not crazy. I believe if you are sick and you know that you are sick, you want the dr to be able to see it and validate the way you have been feeling by diagnosing you properly. Enjoy your hands while you can, you never know when they might change again!

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 scampie5

scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi Karen this happens to me al the time we call them sausage fingers here one minute gone the next very strange they get very stiff also some times my hands are wrinkled then they look normal hope this helps Lynn

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi Karen

I don't think you're crazy either...I'm doing the same thing with my spots since I'm also new to this....so at least we're in this together if we are ;) !

Just a thought...any chance of getting yourself a picture next time if it happens again...then, at least you would have something to show the doctor?
Sending good wishes your way!

#5 Piper

Piper

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hi Karen, You're talking about my fingers and I don't have a diagnosis either, only grumbling disease. Makes me think I'm imagining it sometimes. Taking a picture of them is a good idea.
Hugs, Piper

#6 penandinkwell

penandinkwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi Karen,
I agree with Snowbird - try to take some pictures. It will show the doctor what has been happening and can also serve as a good baseline to watch for changes happening over time.

Hi Snowbird - by spots do you mean the tangelectasia (spelling?) I don't have too many spots but a whole lot of little veins showing up on my face.

Take care.
Sue