Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Elbow Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tara

Tara

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have some elbow issues. I am embarrassed to wear short sleeves now. My elbows look dirty no matter how much I scrub. I don't know if it's a permanent bruise or if the scleroderma has discolored them. They also are painful to the touch. I think I found something by Googling "Elbow tip pain" that convinced me I wasn't completely crazy.

Does anyone else share these symptoms? Is there anything I can do for the discoloration?

Thanks!
Tara

#2 CFMBabs

CFMBabs

Silver Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:13 AM

I kind of know what you mean! My elbows are discoloured and sore partly due to Tennis elbow. I have some skin thickening in this area and I suspect it has something to do with that?
Also I tend to lean on my elbows quite a bit due to my neck being so painful, ie sitting at the table and watching TV and I think that I do actually bruise them.
I'd definately mention it to your doctor. It doesn't sound sinister or anything but it will put your curioaity at rest and who knows there may be something for them?

Best wishes
Barbs xxx

#3 jefa

jefa

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:17 AM

Hi, Tara. In 2003 I saw my first rheumatologist who diagnosed me with probable rheumatoid arthritis at the time. She was asking me about rheumatoid nodules and I showed her a strange patch on my elbow which had been worrying me. The skin was reddened, a bit itchy and cracking a bit. She looked at me like I was stupid and said, "It's just dry skin." I felt foolish. This same elbow continues to give me trouble, though it isn't cracked now. I have applied various creams and moisturisers to no avail. The tip of the elbow is reddened and is sometimes tender to the touch. The other elbow has thicker skin, too, but isn't tender to the touch. I don't lean on my elbows.

If it is only the colour that bothers you, perhaps you could apply a cosmetic foundation to the discoloured elbows.

#4 Vee

Vee

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

Hi Tara,

I know the elbow issues you are talking about. Mine are sore and also started to discolor earlier this year.

I went to the drugstore and bought some bleaching cream. It is used to even out skin tones, such as from age spots or just uneven color. I bought one that was for people with dark skin, as I thought I needed something a bit stronger. It worked very well, and in a fairly short time period. If you would like the name of it, just email me............And no, your not crazy! :P

Warm and Happy to you. xo Vee
Happy people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have!

Warm and Happy to you! Vee

#5 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:04 AM

For your elbows try this take some lemon wedges and rub around the spot that is dirty looking. Let it soak for a bit then wash off then put on some lotion. Do this a few times and hopefully it will go back to way it should be. I think its from dry skin or from leaning on your elbows , I dont really know but see if that works. Take care, Sam
Sam