Jump to content


Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!


Photo

cookie allergy


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 peanut

peanut

    Gold Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Today I had my first girl scout cookies of the year at a meeting. I love Samosas. Yum yum. I ate too many. My friend gave me some to take home... Yum yum. About a half hour after my throat felt getting tight like I couldn't breathe. I ran out and got my steroid inhaler... Hum? And it helped. I went home took half a benedryl just in case I was experiencing an allergy. A few hours later prednisone made me hunt for chocolate, and I remembered the cookies so gobbled them all up.. and now my throat feels weird again? Maybe it was an allergy... :(

I have food allergies but nothing that closes up my throat till now?

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

    Platinum Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hi Peanut

Glad you're ok now...sounds like you had better stay away from those yummie cookies!! :o
Sending good wishes your way!

#3 Susannah

Susannah

    Senior Bronze Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Location:Blenheim, New Zealand

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi Peanut,
Wow, are you feeling any better? Do those cookies have nuts in them?? That is a common allergy to get! A similar thing happened to my little neice when she ate dakkah ( a middle eastern dip made of spices and nuts ground up to a coarse powder, we dip broken crusty bread dipped in olive oil then into the dukkah, quite yummy), her whole face went puffy too, she was quite frightened and had to go to emergency. Hope it doesn't get like that for you. But be careful, ok? Thinking of you
Susannah x

#4 Kim T

Kim T

    Bronze Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Location:Bend Oregon

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

I haven't experienced anything like that but you're scaring me. Limit yourself to just a couple at a time (after you talk to your doctor) and check the ingredient list and talk to your doctor.


Take care,

Kim

#5 peanut

peanut

    Gold Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

Thank you for your concerns. :)
I've never experienced my throat closing up. I already struggle to breathe with coughing, very hoarse voice and oxygen. So no more cookies... sad.

I once read an article about a girl who died of eating a tomato. She wasn't allergic to tomatos but she was deathly allergic to nuts. Turns out the tomato growers bought new seeds that were engineered repel bugs that typically destroy the crop. The repellant was part of a nut gene added to the tomato... so she died of nuts really, but the grocery store wasn't required to post that the food was genetically altered with nuts. Scary. So who knows...

Maybe I'll just eat something safe like foam and water. LOL

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#6 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

    Platinum Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Location:Massachusetts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:38 AM

Hey Peanut,
You should be very careful.. A few years ago we were at my parents house for a holidy. There was a yummy punch with fruit in it. My little one, grace, drank a whole bunch. When we left she fell asleep in the car. We arrived later at my brothers house and when I went to wake her up, her upper lip and side of her face was huge and swollen. I called the dr and they said take benadryl and if it doesn't go away to got to the ER. It went away.... a few weeks later she was over a friends house and they had some fruit. When I went to pick her up she said her tongue was tingly and felt bumpy. It was bright red, a bit swollen and you could see all of her taste buds raised. SO I have now narrowed it down to pineapple and strawberries, the two fruits that were in the punch as wella s at her friends. About six months later we went to Disney and she wanted a frozen pop. My hubby bought her an all natural frozen strawberry pop. After three licks she said she felt funny. Her tongue was bright red and you could see all of her taste buds. So strawberries it is. I called the pediatrician and he said if she eats them, any amount at any point, she could go into anafalactic shock. No more strawberries! Moral of the story, NO MORE COOKIES!!!!

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#7 debonair susie

debonair susie

    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  • Location:(United States)

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hopefully, you , peanut and your little Grace, Lisa.... will "outgrow" these allergies.

I would not like it, if I were to become allergic to strawberries OR pineapple, asI love the BOTH! (I couldn't eat enough pineapple in Hawaii... sorry... I'm drooling again) :P

Not a joking matter, I know... Hope all do okay withthe allergy "news"

Hugs, Susie
Special Hugs,

Susie Kraft
ISN Support Specialist
ISN Chat Host
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#8 Sweet

Sweet

    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

No no no!!! not a cookie allergy?? That should be against the law!
Warm and gentle hugs,

Pamela
ISN Support Specialist
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#9 jefa

jefa

    Platinum Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

Yes, allergies can be outgrown. My son was allergic to eggs as an infant. The first time his head swelled up the size of a basketball. (OK, it felt like that to me.) The doctor had me try it again a year later and he was fine. Still, if he had already reacted a couple of times, I would have been less willing to try it.
Warm wishes,
Jefa

Carrie Maddoux
(Retired)ISN Sclero Forums Support Specialist
(Retired)ISN Sclero Forums UK Chat Host

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#10 SpaceysChick

SpaceysChick

    Senior Bronze Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Waddell, Arizona

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

Glad your feeling better now... but that totally bites! Samoa's are one of my favorites. I can't wait to buy some this year.

Hope this doesn't happen again... but I have heard that you can develop allergies later cause your body changes every 7 years? don't know if thats correct at all... but *shrugs* sorry love!