Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Disability Payments?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 MaryFanPhilly

MaryFanPhilly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hey Guys,
Shelley makes a great point... I don't think everyone appreciates the seriousness of the first six month period when you CANNOT work AT ALL. I guess it's the best way to see who is really serious because most of us can't afford not to work! I know those were very dark days for me, I am a single mom and my son was in his third year of college, and another one in high school. I am tremendously lucky that New Jersey is one of only 5 or 6 states that have temporary disability, and thankfully I had AFLAC which made the difference between eating and starving.
Also if you're applying for the first time, even if you fill out the online paperwork you still have to go in person to the office to finish it. It's a long process and disheartening at times but patience and persistence will serve you well.
To answer your question Alice, yes, I put on my paperwork every way I was affected, from trouble putting shoes on to bowel problems to sitting in an air conditioned office, as well as difficulty sitting in one position for any length of time, cramping, difficulty eating, sleeping, difficulty holding a pen, constant fatigue, dealing with the emotional issues... I put it ALL in there. We manage to work around so many of the day to day problems that we don't really think about those small things which truly, when added up, make it very hard if not impossible to live any semblance of a normal life.
As I mentioned, I am making an appointment with SS to discuss trying to work again. I really don't know if I can, but I'd sure like to try. I have nothing to lose, and an employer who knows my problems and wants me anyhow. Now if only I could find a boyfriend who was so understanding!
Try to hang on to that sense of humor, especially with the SS people. Most of them really do care and want to help. If they say they've been trying to get information from one of your doctors, offer to help them out by calling, or have them fax forms to you to give to your doctor. I found there was a lot of mis-communication between my doctors and the SS people and using me as a go-between seemed to help. I also made friends with the doctor's office staff so they'd be more likely to help me, lol...!
Hope this helps everyone, just remember we've been there and came through in one piece. feel free to ask any time and lots of luck... love Mary
ps to Sweet, it makes a good dinner party story and always gets a good laugh!
Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's

#22 Alice02

Alice02

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

Dear Mary,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate. I too single living alone, I’m using my saving to get by and have some financial help from friends. I believe that NY’s state have temporary disability, I’m going to try to find out how to apply for it. I bought a book called Disability Workbook; it is extremely helpful and so informative about every issue regarding SSDI. My suggested to you is to buy it, it will help you to make right decision and understands what work and what doesn’t regarding going back to work.

Much love

Alice