Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

hands cramping

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fancyface

fancyface

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if many of you have your hands cramping all of the time? Also, when I walk really fast my legs feel like they weigh about 50 lbs a piece! Does anyone else feel this? My rheumatologist recently raised my norvasc to 10mg to try to help with my raynauds. I am wondering if it is from the norvasc dosage being increased or if this is normal with scleroderma? by the way my raynaud's has not improved! :P

sincerely
mel

#2 JJ-Knitter

JJ-Knitter

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hi! My hands cramp off and on during the day but it seems to be related to over-use and maybe some tendonitis developing, rather than the Raynaud's. If I'm really faithful about doing the hand PT, it seems to help all the hand issues. Sometimes I'll fill the kitchen sink full of nice warm water and do the exercises under water. Huh, why is it that I don't mind that but hate doing the dishes? I could be multi-tasking! :lol:

The legs get heavy when I'm 'low on O2'. I was on 15mg Norvasc, but I had so much peripheral edema from it (pushing each leg's weight up to, ummm, maybe a ton?), that I had to discontinue it. I thought the Raynaud's would get a lot worse, but it hasn't.

#3 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hi. My hands use to cramp all the time. Gentle stretching and resting would typically help. Also, eating bananas helps with cramps.

Have you looked into Nitro Bid Paste for your raynauds? That seems to help me. My problem is I forget to put it on. He He.

take care,
peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#4 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hand stretching helps with the cramping and drinking lots of water helps with the swelling. Watch the weather as I know I ache a little more when the forecast is rain. Good Luck. Gidget

#5 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

Hi Mel,
Sorry to hear that the Norvasc is not helping much for the Raynauds! Maybe there is another option for meds? I have not tried the norvasc, but I also experience the "heavy" feeling in the limbs while walking or excercising. Whenever I go off of Plaquenil this becomes much worse, so I feel like this medication really helps me for that reason.

Keep your doctor updated on your raynauds, and let us know if you find something that works for you.
*WestCoast*

#6 Fictionite

Fictionite

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:39 AM

You're so funny! I'm glad you enjoyed your funnel cakes. My attitude is that if dry toast and chicken broth are going to rip me to shreds, then I might as well eat enchiladas and cookies to enjoy for a short 15 minutes. What's really killing me is no coffee or tea since the beginning of January. B-o-o H-o-o.

Have a stress-free day all. ~LeAnn (Fictionite)

#7 Delker

Delker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Yes! My hands cramp all the time (I keep thinking it's because they're so puffy the muscles are being forced to act in unnatural ways. And yes, my legs feel like they weigh tons (in those rare moments when my knees are hurting and I can breathe) when I try to walk at a normal pace. I hadn't really been able to describe it---you captured the feeling.

DRE

#8 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

My hands are really achy and weak today especially my left which is unusual.

Sometimes I wonder if changes in the weather or barometer cause aches cause I always seem to feel crummy when it first rains...

Has anyone's hand writing gone down the drain? My hand writing is chicken scratch. Anything longer than a person's address and it gets all wobbbly. Thankfully this blog is typed and not written otherwise I think we'd need a chicken to translate the chicken scratch...

peanut

#9 relicmom1

relicmom1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hey Peanut
My handwriting has also gone down the proverbial drain :P . I used to have beautiful handwriting and now, it's like yours....chicken scratch. I now buy and use the larger barrel pens with the rubber grip. that helps some. It just hurts to write and I have a hard time holding onto the pen. I also have no strength in them anymore, so I drop lots of things <_< ...
Peace :)
Barbara aka relicmom1

#10 LMS

LMS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

Barbara,

Thanks for the laugh. My handwriting was never that great so imagine what it looks like now. In fact one of my son's teachers sent something home to verify my signature. What I signed was so sloppy, she thought he forged it. :lol: :lol:

What causes this? I am currently being worked up for Limited with Lupus overlap.

Loren

#11 MaryFanPhilly

MaryFanPhilly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hey Folks,
Anyone have a paraffin bath?? I use mine all the time and it does help, even if it's only for a short time. Wish I could find one big enuf to soak the whole body!
Love, Mary
Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's

#12 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

I love my paraffin bath. My friend is taking me to the spa for two days. One of a treatments she's getting is a body wrap involves being wrapped in warm paraffin sheets. Wow! I think that's as close as you get to the whole body Mary!

peanut