Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

nasal cannula/oxy-glasses/TT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JJ-Knitter

JJ-Knitter

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi all!

Since it looks the O2 is going to be a forever thing, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either the glasses that have the O2 tubing built in or the trans-tracheal delivery method. The standard tubing-across-the face isn't working out very well for me.

Any comments would be welcome!

JJ

#2 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

I've heard good things about them, but they're very expensive. They camouflage your need for oxygen which is kinda cool.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#3 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

I also thought the glasses looked OK. I am fine with my canuala now, you get used to it, but I also was wondering about the glasses at one point. I am not a fan of the trachael tube unless you just have to. From research, I think it is not always a great choice due to infection.
I am sorry that you have to use it, but it gets so much easier with time.
The worst part for me is tripping over my cord and getting twisted in it at night. Oh, and the humidity connector device I have to use drives me insane. :)
Jen

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Hi JJ,

My husband wears the OxyView glasses and has for several years now. They look marvelous and disguise the cannula beautifully. On top of being ISN Vice President, he also works part-time as a restaurant greeter, and many of the customers don't even realize he's on oxygen. He is on 5 liters, and needs oxygen 24 hours a day.

OxyViews run about $250 for the frames, which is rather comparable in price to many of the designer frames, and then of course you pay for the lenses to be made.

I also sew oxygen cases, adding pockets so that he can easily carry his asthma inhalers and billfold (you lose a few pockets when wearing portable oxygen). I design them to match his wardrobe, so his oxygen has transitioned from being a medical necessity into being a fashion accessory. B)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Shelley,
I just read your post and I got all warm and fuzzy. Gene is one lucky man....and you are one lucky lady. What an adorable couple you two are.
xo,
Tangelo

#6 JJ-Knitter

JJ-Knitter

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hey Y'all!

Looks like the glasses are everyone's view as the way to go (pun intended)! Now all I have to do is chose a frame. Auughh! Decisions, decisions. We're really fortunate that our insurance will pay towards new glasses once a year, so if I hold off till this fall, it won't be so $$$.

Thanks for the input. Shelly, you've given me a couple of ideas for bags for me too.

JJ