Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

flesh loss?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

My doctor told me I was losing flesh from my fingertips, especially those that get affected by raynauds the most. They are just really flat on the tips and I always thought it was from pressing too hard on my pens and pencils :unsure: . Can anyone explain how that actually happens? I haven't been able to find anything on this site, maybe I'm not looking well enough?

#2 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

Hi there,

I don't know the actual mechanics, but it's happening to me too. I can see where the skin is kind of pulling away from the nail on some fingers. Ask your doctor, he/she should be able to explain. I think it's the loss of blood flow, after awhile the vessels actually shut down and no blood gets delivered. Usually it results in gangrene, but maybe this is a lesser (thankfully) form? Maybe it's LESS blood flow instead of NO flow? Maybe someone else will know..mine are also tender and sometimes numb. Hope you're well today.
Peace,
Karen

#3 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:07 AM

Skin actually pulling away from the nail? As painful as that sounds that's interesting. Mine is more like the finger pads are disapearing

#4 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hi Omaeva, I have lost the fat pads from some but not all of my fingers, It was one of the criteria on which I was diagnosed with SSc. I actually think they had been like it for a long time , but I never really gave any though to why some fingers were elegantly tapered at the end! I had noticed though that I was having difficulty opening the thin palstic bags that you put veggies etc in at the supermarket - I assume that was why. I think that it is just lack of blood supply to the fingertips that causes it.
They don't really seem to have got any worse over the last 2 years since I was diagnosed, but do tend to get a bit sore.
Lizzie

#5 JJ-Knitter

JJ-Knitter

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi Omaeva,

My fingers still have the pads, but I've lost the ones from my feet. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking directly on bone. I now chose my shoes by the amount of cushioning the soles give, then add a sheepskin liner for a bit more softness under foot.

They seem to call this 'pulp loss' and I've done a Google search looking for cause, but didn't have any luck either. Curious~

JJ