Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Anyone else have crawled fingers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SADIE_*

Guest_SADIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

My fingers on both hands are crawled under. My right hand is even bent over. Anyone else have this? Mine started crawling under within the first yr. of my SD. I was diagnosis 18 years ago.I am still able to use the computer by using a pencil for the keys.
Sadie

#2 Helen

Helen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Sadie

Yes, my fingers are curling. My right hand is worst, probably because I use it most. Mine started about Febuary '06 and I was diagnosis with Diffuse sclero in August. I was put on high doses of Prednisone for a few months...now am on 5mg also Methotrexate and Plaquenil and it has stopped the curling. It didn't undo the damage that was already done but they haven't gotten any worse. If I put my palms together I could fit a tennis ball in there but at least my fingers aren't curled right under. I think I was lucky it was caught early....can still type with 2 fingers. :D

Best Wishes

Helen

#3 rlbrussell

rlbrussell

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Yes mine curled in the first year too. It can be very frustrating at times, but I am learning new ways of using my hands and I have improved my function a lot over this last year. I have custom splints that an occupational therapist made for my hands so I can type. I am currently typing a dissertation for my PhD and I couldn't have done it without her help.
Rosa
Diffuse Sclero
dx Jan 2006

#4 Kiwi

Kiwi

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

Yes mine are curled over too - and as a result I don't work. Do you work and if you do, what kind of work do you do?
I find just the simplest functions hard as you all must as well. Hopefully over time our skin will soften and our hands will straighten. That is my hope....
Kiwi

Diagnosed 2006 - Diffuse Scleroderma
Skin and lung involvement

#5 SpaceysChick

SpaceysChick

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

My fingers the first year curled on both hands. They were severe over the years they've actually gotten better.

I talked to my doctor about this on Tuesday and she said that this can actually happen to some patients, and I happen to be one of the lucky ones on this aspect.

i just keep the lotion on them, keep exercising them, by knitting, and use of the computer keyboard, and that seems to work for me.

#6 Guest_SADIE_*

Guest_SADIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

Kiwi, I'm not able to work because my Scleroderma is pretty serious. I have diffuse and it's in most organs but not kidneys. I have a feeding tube. It had saved my life!
Sadie

#7 Kiwi

Kiwi

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi Sadie, I have diffuse also but fortunatley only a little lung involvement. My biggest problem is tight skin, lack of general mobility and ulcers !!!! I'm sorry to hear of your additional organ involvement. What do you do to pass your time?

SpaceysChick (love the name) - when did you start noticing a "plateau" or even a remission to your condition? I'm 35 and have had for 3 years now. Still progressing but slower than first 2 years. Great to hear some positive!

Love Kiwi
Kiwi

Diagnosed 2006 - Diffuse Scleroderma
Skin and lung involvement