Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Shortness of breath

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LMS

LMS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hi everyone,

My shortness of breath is progressing. What are some additional signs that I should be concerned and inform my rheumatologist? ;)

Thanks,
Loren

#2 SpaceysChick

SpaceysChick

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

for me it was just shortness of breath... told my rheumatologist that and she sent me over to pulmonology for a chest ct and breathing tests.

Just tell your doctor about any symptoms you have at all, and shortness of breath is one.

Good luck to you!

#3 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hi Loren, your increasing shorteness of breath should be enough reason in itself to inform your reheumatologist.
Lizzie

#4 mando621

mando621

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

Questions about shortness of breath. At times I feel like there is a heavy feeling in my chest. At other times it is almost a burning or congested feeling. I have a little dry cough now and then. I don't end up breathless like panting if I exert myself, I end up feeling uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels like a tickling in my chest.

A recent chest xray came back with no infiltrates, perfectly clear. Would this actually show ILD?

I brought up my feeling of "breathlessness" a few years ago with my family doctor, and said that at times, I feel like I just can't get enough air. I'm not panting, but I am deeply sighing and breathing every once in a while because of the feeling in my chest. More or less, I think she mostly ignored this.

Thanks.

Mando.

#5 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Mando,
My pulm doctor says my ILD shows up mildly on in a chest x-ray but is "classic case" and very obvious in the CT Scan with and without contrast.

Shortness of breath and chest tightness occurring more than several months should never be ignored.

Each of our bodies are unique. It is very important to get to know our bodies so went something is different or out of wack we can mention it to our doctors. A tickle in the lungs may be nothing for me but for you it could be a sign of something more.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#6 SpaceysChick

SpaceysChick

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Mondo...

you need to have some pft's done. I started out this same way. Just feeling like I couldn't get enough air when I went to take a deep breath.

talk to your rheumatologist... my x-rays never showed ild, but when I had a ct done it showed some scarring...

so yeah... talk to your rheumatologist... breathlessness is a symptom of something.

#7 JJ-Knitter

JJ-Knitter

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hi Loren,

Looks like a consensus - not much on X-Rays but ILD on chest CT's. Me, too. I'm with everyone else in thinking you should tell your rheumatologist and ask to see a sclero-knowledgeable pulmonologist for a thorough work-up.

JJ

#8 Sue P

Sue P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi Lauren
I have PAH - first noticeable signs were very subtle - only one being out of breath upon returning to bed if I needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Later it was tying shoes, etc. and progressed from there. It is so important to catch it early - go to a pulmonolgist that is familiar with scleroderma and PAH - I wish you the very best - Sue