Do visit our Fun and Friendship Forum for smiles and laughter! There's great recipes in Sclero Kitchen, too!!

Photo

I can taste blood when I cough!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

I have been told by my rhematologist that I either have ILD or PH.
I have developed a nagging dry cough it feels like a tickle deep in my throat in the past few weeks. When I cough I can taste blood at the back of my throat.

I am due to see my cardiologist in 4 weeks time and rheumatologist in 6 weeks time.
I have also seen a Respiratory physician who doesn't seem to think I have ILd.

The only test I have had done by the Respiratory doctor is a CT Chest, which was normal. My Cardiologist suspects I may have PH, but I don't fit in the criteria of Constant SOB. I also have declining DLCO in the past year with my PFT.

Does anyone else who has ILD or PH experience coughing and taste blood at the back of their throat.?

Many thanks
Celia

#2 Vee

Vee

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:03 AM

Celia,

I don't want to panic you, sweetie. But you need to see a Pulmonologist. That is one of the first questions that mine used to ask me when I had that dreaded sclero cough, "Do you cough up blood?". My answer was always 'NO" but he used to insist that if I ever did, to reach him pronto! Don't ignore this symptom. My cough has gotten much much better over the years. I take an OTC allergy med with a Decongestant in it to calm my cough.

I hope you get taken care of fast. Please let us know what becomes of this. And please don't wait too long to get it checked out.
Happy people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have!

Warm and Happy to you! Vee

#3 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Vee for replying to my post. I did mention this cough and tasting of blood at the back of my throat to my Respiratory PHysician (Pulmonologist) a couple of weeks ago, he didn't seem to fussed about it and sent me on my way.

I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist next week for reflux and slow motility issues. Unless it gets really bad I might try and wait to see my Cardiologist in 4 weeks time.

Thanks anyway and take care
Celia

#4 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

My pulm doctor said if the blood is in the sputum its not a big deal but if the blood is separate then it may be of concern. Or if its accompanied by a fever or green phlegm. Mm.. what a wonderful post.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#5 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi all,

Sputum and phlegm and blood - OH MY! :rolleyes: I know, not funny really.

I also have tasted blood in the back of my throat and did mention it to my pulm doctor. who said what Peanut's doctor said.

I get nose bleeds and although I didn't have one at the time I was tasting the blood, I think it was something more to do with what was draining down rather than what I was coughing up.