Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Toenail Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Helen

Helen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Went to the podiatrist with sore toenails...they were curling in from the sides. He trimmed them really well, but I had to have needles to deaden them as they were so sore. Now they are not sore to touch anymore so it was worth it...hopefully will be able to wear shoes again. :) He said as I have a chronic illness my doctor can do a care plan and it will give me 5 podiatrist visits free...that will be a help. I don't know if this only applies in Australia.

Best wishes
Helen

#2 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

Hi Helen,

Owww....that sounds very painful !! Did the podiatrist deaden the toes for you ? I didn't know they did that sort of thing. When you say your nails are curling in from the sides, do you mean lifting from the sides (concave) or curling in like an ingrown toenail ?

Hope your feet are feeling better soon since the cool mornings and nights have set in.

Take care,
Karen :)

#3 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Helen, I have had toenail problems too - am having them as we speak - or well type...

You are brave. I chickened out of my appointment to take care of my toenails. Sometimes they don't bother me so much but other times - oooooooh!

I may have to have them done yet. They look good, they just hurt like crazy! Sometimes I use an over the counter with lidocaine in it which helps a bit temporairly.

#4 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hi Helen,
I live in Australia as well, my G.P gave me a referral as well for me to see a Podiatrist, 5 free visits per year. You also have the option to see a Psychologist, Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist for some of those 5 visits. It is 5 free visits in total, you can use your 5 visits to see one therapist or you can see any therapist you wish as long as it is 5 visits in total per year.

I'm probably totally confusing you now, sorry.

Take care
Celia

#5 Helen

Helen

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Yes, the podiatrist did deaden my toes. He started trimming and it was very painful...he said he could give me a needle to deaden them, I was trying to be tough and said I would be ok then half way through I said I think I will have that needle now. :P They are curling in from the sides and when he cut them back I have big grooves where they were...he said no wonder they were so sore.
Celia, I didn't realise you could get five visits per year...thought it was just five all up. Haven't talked to my doctor about it yet as he is on holidays. It's good to know you can use it for other things as well. I might need a psychology visit...traumatised from this toe business lol :D
Take care all

Helen