Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

sore gums

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Every so often, (like now) I have very sore gums, and they are sensitive to toothpaste and even acidic foods like ketchup. I guess they are more on the burning scale rather than sore. I have to brush very gently and get the toothpaste out ASAP! After a week or so, it goes away, only to surface again, maybe a year or so later. Anyone else?
Could this be sclero related?
Karen

#2 Guest_SADIE_*

Guest_SADIE_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

Karenl, I have sore gums too. Mine gums have receded in a few places. I use a special mouth rinse from my dentist. I take a cotten swab and clean my gums that way because I can't rinse my mouth out because my lips are so tight. Since I'm no longer able to completely close my mouth, the gums are extra sensitive. You might want to tell your dentist about your gums.
Sadie

#3 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

I use the special toothpaste and also a "magic mouthwash" that my doctor had the pharmacy mix. My gums are not only sore but look terrible too. I thought of making an appointment with my dentist to see what he thinks just to be on the safe side. I have sjogren's along with the sclero and have noticed a real sensitivity to cold drinks and even water also.

Warm hugs.

Peggy

#4 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Karen,
Are you taking a multivitamin? My mom was taking a muliti-vitamin and her gums became sensitive and bleedy. Our dentist said it was the vitamin "A" in her multi-vitamin. My mom stopped the vitamin and her gums got better.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#5 Glenwood

Glenwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

I know my mom has suffered with her gums and teeth in general for the past few years. She was told to use a waterpic toothbrush to help stimulate the gums. The receeding and soreness is apparently due to bone loss in the teeth. Overall she was told the sclero created much bone loss and osteoporsis and has been taking heavy doses of Vitamin D. Excesive vitamin A, and maybe E may also be contributory.
Glenwood

#6 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hi Karen,

I do get sensitive gums too - yes, the burning. I also get sensitive , burning, itchy skin which especially hurts in the shower! :o

I use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and a soft toothbrush, which has helped. I'll have to look into the mouthwash. Thanks for the info Sadie and Peggy.

#7 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:52 AM

I also have very sore gums with very sensitive teeth. I use a sensitive toothpaste and use a mouth wash. The dentist I see was very good & knew about SSc and the problems of it with teeth & gums. I also get huge blood blisters in my mouth usually on the roof of the mouth, they're about the size of a finger nail. These are painful when they burst because they are open & some foods really irritate them, acid type foods in particular! Does anyone get these? My consultant thinks they are related to autoimmune problems.

Jensue

#8 kellyA

kellyA

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

My gums are also sore, I had a treatment done to my gums and it's helped, rooting and scaling, (painful) but I go every 3 months for a teeth cleaning and maintenance on my gums, the chemo makes them sensitive also, use a send. toothpaste that helps.

KellyA

#9 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

Wow! The things that pop up with this disease! Some days I'm so overwhelmed! I get those blood blister things too and my rheumatologist said that they are telangiascias in the mouth that get big and sore. I am not taking a mulit-vitamin at the moment because I have celiac and am looking for one that is gluten free. Anyway, thanks so much for all the answers, I am ashamed to admit I haven't been to a dentist in about two years, as a matter of fact, since I was diagnosed with sclero. It just keeps getting pushed to the back burner with all the other doctors I have to fit in.

Right now, I'm also battling a narrowing intestine. :angry: I don't have a colon due to ulcerative colitis years ago, (right before the Raynaud's started hummm) and my small intestine is acting up now. Some days it seems like one thing clears up, which leaves a hole for something else to flare...sorry to sound "woe is me" (again!) if you met me, you'd say (LOL) "Wow, you don't look sick"...we've al been there done that right!? Peace out everyone...and thanks again, I'll make a dental appt.

Karen

#10 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

It is amazing the things you'll find out here! I too have soreness with my gums from time to time. I had not been to the dentist for a couple of years either and ended up having 2 root canals and needing deep cleaning (root & scaling). My dentist was very gentle with the cleaning and recommended a regular cleaning every 3 months. I was advised to use a waterpic and to dilute the mouthwash (I use 1 part mouthwash to 3 parts water). She too was knowledgable about sclero and very sensitive to my anxiety although she did give me that pitiful look some medical professionals give to you once she heard "scleroderma".
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!

#11 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Oh SMAC don't you just love when they look at you like that? "You poor thing you". That makes me crazy! Way to make us feel worse and more scared than we already are. <_<

Anyway, on to the gums topic, I don't have gum sensitivity but I do get painful sores in my mouth on the inside of my lower lip. I have one now that I inadvertantly keep biting which isn't helping it heal. Gotta stay away from salty food until it heals.

#12 kellyA

kellyA

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

Just wondering why dilute the mouthwash, I use it everyday am I missing somehting, please advise..

KellyA

#13 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

I get the mouth ulcers too. Sometimes they're painful and sometimes they're not. My dentist told me to dilute the mouthwash to lessen the stinging and burning when my gums are already sore. I also use alcohol free mouthwash.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!