Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

achy, swollen hands

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bunky

Bunky

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

Forgive me if this has been covered a million times, but I've been waking up almost every morning with red and puffy hands and fingers, not the sausage fingers I've read some others deal with, but enough that my rings won't slip off most mornings. They also ache all day. I've had the achiness for a long time, but the puffiness is newer. By the middle of the day, my fingers and hands look all shrunken and pruny, and twice as wrinkled as they should. I also find I don't want to straighten my fingers--I can, but it's not as comfortable as slightly curled. I compensate by force stretching my hands and fingers.
Does anyone else have achy, puffy hands that later turn pruny?

Thanks,

Bunky

#2 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Bunky,

I do have swollen hands, (also the sausage fingers you speak of lol) however they don't turn pruny. Maybe you should get to your doctor since this is new for you with the aching and puffiness. When I had a doppler done on my hands it showed the blood flow and inflamation. Maybe ask him/her about having one and maybe some x-rays to see what's going on.

Hope you feel better and get some releif from it.

Karen

#3 gemjar

gemjar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

My fingers (not hands) are always puffy and the finger joints ache almost all of the time. When I hold my hands out in front of me the index and middle fingers on both hands are more curled than the others. At times they will turn "pruney" looking, just as you've described. My xrays showed nothing and I'm looking forward to my rheumatologist appointment next week (i am undiagnosed), he was quite sure it was oesteoartritis only !!

You know whats funny........everyone asks me how my hands are and when I show them, they will bend my fingers straight and ask me if it hurts. It usually doesn't and that casts even more curiosity as to why they won't stay that way. People are funny aren't they :huh:

#4 isobelle44

isobelle44

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi Bunky, I have generalized morphea, and some of my fingers are slightly swollen, especially in the morning. Somedays in the afternoon they do become smaller and more wrinkly, but mostly they stay slightly swollen all day. I dont really have alot of pain in my hands, my index fingers seem to be turning inward, my dermatologist said morphea can do that. I have to believe that is all it is. Sharon

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hi Bunky,

I, too, have puffy hands and fingers in the morning and it is hard to make a fist. Mine look more like sausages though (my fingers look like they shrunk during the night). Later on when the swelling goes down my fingerpads are all red and wrinkly or if I'm cold they are all wrinkly. I thought that was due to losing the pads on my fingertips because a few months ago they were normal looking and became really sore before looking like this. Also, if I hold anything or touch something, that part of my finger turns white and leaves a dent, which takes awhile to go back to normal again. Do yours do that? From reading what other people have said it is important to exercise your hands to keep them straight. I consciously stretch my hands open many, many times a day and lay them flat on a table and sort of push on it. Do you have Limited?

I'm glad you asked the question, because I have been wondering the same thing about wrinkly fingers. :unsure:

Take care -

Cheri

#6 Bunky

Bunky

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi Cheri,
It sounds like your hands a definitely worse than mine, but follow the same idea.

My doctor suspects limited, but I don't have a definite diagnosis for that.
I do have diagnosed morphea, Raynauds, Reflux, fibromyalgia, telangiectasia, shortness of breath, etc.

I see a sclero spec. next month, so we'll see what they say.

Take care,
Bunky