Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

My feet! They swell!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:18 AM

Wow, never have I had a swelling problem this bad and so sudden. But I've got sausages for toes, and everything just looks plum my ankles and feet are the same size as my calves! Moving my feet is even hard in circular motion or even forward, it all feels tight and kind of like little spiders crawling on my skin.

Sound familiar? I wasn't aware sclero can cause swollen feet, just found out from web md! Who knew.

Anyway, anyone have any temporary relief? I read about taking diuretics? Have they helped anyone?

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:57 AM

If you are very swollen you should call your dr right away. It can be a sign/symptom of something else! Don't wait....

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

Omaeva, I agree with Lisa that you should get it checked out by the doctors as it is a new problem. I have had a problem with swollen feet and ankles for a while. As you describe, my ankles look almost the same size as my calves by the end of the day, also feel very tight and have burning sensation. I have had the problem investigated, and they have excluded any obvious problems such as heart failure or pulmonary hypertension. One thing that has contributed to the swelling has been the use of calcium channel blockers ( Eg nifedipine) for the raynauds. I don't know whether you are taking these? My legs and feet are certainly less swollen since the dose was reduced. I haven't tried diuretics and it hasn't been suggested to me by the doctors. I think whether they would be effective or not depends on what is causing your problem. Also you should not take any without first having consulted your Dr. On a practical level my suggestions are:
Don't sit/ stand still for long periods , get up and walk around as much as you can.
Put your feet up when sitting .
I wear support socks, my sister sent them from the US, and they make a big difference.
Get someone to massage your legs /feet - it makes them feel better if nothing else.
I do find it a bit of a problem, I always have to wear trousers or wear boots if I wear a skirt as legs are not fit for public display.
Lizzie

#4 relicmom1

relicmom1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

I also agree with Lisa, that needs to be checked out. I have had that problem off and on since I've had sclero. My feet, ankles and calfs up to just above my knees will swell so bad I can't even walk!! They actually sty swollen to some degree 24/7....
Peace :)
Barbara aka relicmom1

#5 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:48 AM

I get that too, but generally the right foot, ankle and calf. Dr. said it's from the Norvasc and warm weather. He gives me a 3 water pills a day if necessary, but I don't believe in taking all that. Try a natural diuretic. I understand asparagus is a natural diuretic. When that happens, I also prop my bed up under the mattress with a pillow just on the end, so my feet are raised when I'm sleeping.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

I had this happen the weekend of my son's wedding. This was before I was diagnosed and was still dealing with different doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Well we were at the hotel getting ready for my son's wedding and I went to put my shoes on that matched my dress and my ankles were the size of my thighs. I just cried wonderng what I was going to do for shoes for his wedding. Well with some smart people they cutt of the straps for the sandals that matched the dress and I flip-flopped my way through his wedding. Throughout the whole weekend no one could believe the size of my ankles and with observation was able to tell it wasn't due to fluid buildup or edema like they say. This was in May and finally in August I was in front of my now rheumatologist doctor who took one look at my ankles and feet and took a biopsy and I was diagnosed with the sclero. She said this was how sclero worked was with swelling like this and that it was part of the disease. All I know was how uncomfortable it was and I was glad when they went down. I haven't had that happen since that time but when it does I'll know why this time. I hope this helps and good luck to you. I do agree that you should have it checked out to make sure something else isn't going on just in case.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#7 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

Thank you all for such a quick reply. I am on Norvasc but only 10mg a day. I've always had minor swelling problems but this is just... :unsure: . Slightly better today, but I will definitely call the Dr. Monday morning, since I was just planning to wait till my appointment at the end of may.

What you are all describing sounds it, swollen and tight. Also I've been having tummy issues for almost 3 weeks, is it possible that the swelling might have anything to do with that? I saw a doctor about the tummy (just my regular family doctor), and he seemed to think I was ok, since he didn't feel anything in it (although at that point I couldn't use use the restroom).

#8 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have stomach problems too. I go from going too much to can't. I find when I can't, I have trouble in the water works department as it somewhat suppresses it. My doctor suggested MiraLAX. You mix with water or any other liquid and it's gentle. You can find it in the supermarket aisle with the aspirins and such or at a drug store.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#9 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hi Omaeva, My feet swelling was one of the first signs that something was going wrong. I could not tie my shoe laces my feet were so fat. During that time I just tried to keep them elevated and was going to doctors to try to find out what was wrong. Then I got the diagnosis of sclero. Since then I've been on Plaquenil, Cellcept and twelve monthly doses of IV Cytoxin. At this time my feet are back to normal size and I don't seem to have any swelling. I hope this info helps.
Good luck, Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#10 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:54 AM

Omaeva, are you able to lay on the floor and put your legs up against the wall? If so do this only 5 minutes at a time. That will help with the swelling too. But like the others mentions call your doctor and get in. Take care Sam
Sam

#11 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments.
I spent the day in bed yesterday with my feet elevated, it did the trick after 6 hours or so. The swelling is gone. I am still going to call the doctor and let him know it happened, and possibly it'll be another thing to check out once I go in.