Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Pathology Report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 a_sharpe1

a_sharpe1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:56 AM

Just recently, I was able to get a copy of my initial path report from my biopsy. Is there anyone that could possibly help me interpret the findings in the 'English Language'? Much of it is foreign to me. Any help would be appreciated! See below:

Microscopic Description:

The entire dermis is fibrotic with a superficial and deep perivascular lymphohistiocytic infiltrate. In addition, there is thickening of the fibrous septa in the panniculus with aggregates of plasma cells at the edges. There are melanophages in the papillary dermis.
Love for All ~

Angie

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hi Angie ,

A lymphohistiocytic infiltrate would indicatea chronic (long term) inflammatory process. The dermis is the layer under your top skin layer....the epidermis. Basically, you have had chronic inflammation in that area and it had becomes fibrotic (hard). Fibrosis is usually caused because of a reparative or reactive process. Scleroderma can be the formation of fibrosis in tissues....meaning thickening skin and underlying tissues. Does that help any?

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 a_sharpe1

a_sharpe1

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Yes ma'am, it helps. Thank you! Doctors know this language but I think it should be standard for them to explain in layman (or laywoman - LOL...) terms. Do you know what the PANNICULUS is? What about MELANOPHAGES? Thanks Margaret.
Love for All ~

Angie

#4 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hi Angie ,

Panniculus just means a layer of tissue. It could be the adipose (fat) layer under the skin or the skeletal muscle layer. Where did you have the biopsy? Melanophages are garbage collectors....like histiocytes. I don't know the significance of them being in the dermis.
Lymphocytes, neutrophils and plasma cells can be found in tissue, too, not just in blood. Neutrophils generally indicate an acute (new) infection whereas lymphocytes indicate a chronic (on going) infection. Someone else may know the significance of plasma cells....I don't.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#5 a_sharpe1

a_sharpe1

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:35 AM

Thank you so much, Margaret, for all your help!!
Love for All ~

Angie

#6 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

Wow Margaret!

I am impressed! What is your background?

When I read all that, it might as well have been a language from another planet.

Thank you for your knowledge and insight.

#7 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:26 AM

When I googled panniculus & definiton it said that it is a layer of fat under the skin. When I googled melanphages I got lost. I am going to keep trying on that one.

It's me again. Melanophage is a phagorytic cell which contains brown or black pigment. A phagorytic cell is a cell eater. Clear as mud!!!!

Have a great day!
Nan

#8 a_sharpe1

a_sharpe1

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:35 AM

Thank you, Nan. Now that I think about it, the definition of melanophages makes sense - it has to do with melanin. My regular dr felt one of my indurations (indentions) & he seemed to think it went through the muscle. Any chance of that happening, if panniculus is the fat layer? I really appreciate you taking the time to research this. It means a whole lot to me.

Margaret, I'm with Barefut. What is your background? Definitely in the health care profession I would almost be willing to bet.

Barefut, I'm also with you on how the path report seems to be in a foreign language. I'm glad someone else agrees with me in that respect.

Thank you & Warm Hugs to You All!!
Love for All ~

Angie

#9 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi Angie, Barefut, & Nan ,

My back ground is in Cytology.....cancer detection. Obviously, I have had a lot of Pathology courses!!! Blood cells and functions are not my specialty, though. I only know the basics for them. Melanophages and histiocytes are our bodies' garbage collectors....they clean up dead cells and inflammatory processes. When the body's system is too overwhelmed and the neutrophils, lymphs, histiocytes can't keep up, then, you have infection, diseases, gangrene, etc.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret