Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Itchy Spots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

Birdman has developed several spots on the the back of his hands, they look almost like blisters but he says they itch very bad. Has anyone else had this?
Thanks
Birdmans Wife
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#2 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:12 AM

Hello Birdman's wife,

What size are they? I get tiny little blister like bumps when a flare is on it's way, and they do itch! They're usually only about 1mm across, so this might be different than what your husband has. Quite often I can feel the first one coming up and watch them pop out one after another along my fingers and up to the back of my hands. As always, ask the doctor's opinion since there might be a similarity with our blisters, but very different causes. Hopefully it's just an early warning sign like mine, but please keep us posted on how your husband is doing.

Best wishes to you both,
Elehos

#3 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:51 AM

Hi Birdman's wife,

I get really itchy spots but around my neck when I eat dairy. Dairy causes my inflammation to go nuts so I've had to stop eating it completely. I've tried creams, but the only thing that makes the itch go away is ice packs. It sounds silly but I use cold pop cans. If it lasts more than a few days it would probably be a good idea to call the doctor.

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#4 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Elehos & Peanut Yes these little blisters are about 1mm, its driving him crazy. I think your right about a flare up. The last few days he has been so down, we just got back from Duke on Monday and his PFT's are worse and his skin score is higher. I think the stress really makes him flare up. Dr. Shanahan put him on a drug that messed up his system, now he is going to try cymbolta. I'm afraid to try ice packs on the blisters because of his Raynauds.
Thanks agian
Birdmans Wife
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#5 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Yeah I ususally sit on my couch in sweats, wrapped in blankets holding a cold canned soda to the itchy spots. I use a hand towel to hold the soda because its so cold. I also have those gel eye masks which are not as cold, but work just as well.
I hope you find something that works,
peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#6 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:31 AM

Hi again!

I use an oral anesthetic on the bumps since I can't stand the cold, and my doctor thought that was a great idea. There are times in the middle of the night that I either can't get to sleep or will scratch my skin until it bleeds (while sleeping, apparently), so keeping a tube by the bedside really helps.

I'm sorry that your husband has been so down and feeling stressed out, and it seems that the unpredictability of our situation is one of the most frustrating things. I just started getting over a flare that started October 2005 and finally let up at the end of August 2006, and now it looks like another one is hitting again. If it sticks with the same pattern, the worst ones only hit every two years, so maybe this one will blow over quickly.

You'll be in our thoughts, and please keep us posted on how both of you are doing!

Hugs to you both,
Elehos

#7 Laura

Laura

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

I get the same thing on my hands and sometimes my forearms. The tiny little blister things that itch so bad. Once they leave my skin seems thicker. They usually are on the tops of my hands and fingers. They also travel down the sides of my fingers. When things are bad I get them on my palms and under side of my fingers. It also seems like once they leave and the skin seems thicker that's when I get a lot of cracks, both verticle and horizontal. These cracks become very deep, but usually heal within a few days. I haven't really found anything that helps me. I hope your husband can get relief from one of the suggestions.

Take care,

Laura