Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Anybody Taking Prilosec? I Need Advice.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:03 AM

Janey,

What MG is the prescription written for? I take 40 mg 2x a day and because the RX kind comes in 40 mg its covered. I would try again and appeal the insurance saying no to this much needed med! This is a big monthly experience for people and unless you don't have insurance I do not see why they fight it when it is also an RX.

Let me know what happens on this.
Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#22 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hi again Barefut,

I was just reading a post (Patty's?), and it's true that you can argue with the insurance company! At one point a few years ago I needed a particular narcotic pain killer and found that the time release pills were limited to 2 per day regardless of the mg. I preferred to get 4/day in the smallest mg. strength so I could adjust the dosage by need instead of being stuck with 2 stronger ones which couldn't be chopped, and the pharmacist told me to call my ins. co. At that point they gave me an override without the doctor's paperwork, probably because I was arguing for being able to take less when needed. They probably never got a call like that before. If there is a reason for needing a particular prescription, like the difference between OTC and Rx Prilosec, you can get a doctor's override, or just badger the ins. co. like my husband did for me (lol). I do hope it works out for you!

Best wishes to you,
Elehos

#23 lori_in_va

lori_in_va

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:11 AM

Hi, hope this helps, looks like you have a lot of advice already but I have sclero and the esoph problems everything from swallowing difficulty to the acid reflux/gerd, I do sleep at slight elevation but not too much. I have tried prilosec, prevacid, protonix (bad side effects from that one) and now I have been on aciphex for a long time and it's awesome, I take it one time a day, in the am with my morning meds and it lasts all day and night, other than the problems that nothing will help anyway, no pill does it all I guess, but this one definitely did the trick. I take the 20mg pill. Just to share what worked for me, hopefully you can find some relief. Lori

#24 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Okay, so I just found out there is a generic of Prilosec so I called my general practitioner to have him call in a prescription for it.

My insurance has a $10 co pay for generic meds, a big difference from paying $45.00/mo for 30 days of Prilosec 2x/day.

Why didn't I look into this sooner? Mush brain. :blink:

#25 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

Ya Gotta love Generic Meds! When your taking lots of meds, like I am it adds up quickly!

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#26 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

Okay, my last words on Prilosec.....the surgeon who removed my gall bladder told me that the Prilosec I was taking at the time has a possible side effect of abdominal cramping and loose stools.

Incidentally, there are NO possible side effects listed on the package. My surgeon said that most people don't know this about Prilosec. (maybe that's why! :rolleyes: )

He brought this up to me because I was still having cramping and loose stools 6 weeks after surgery. He said that 6 weeks is a normal recovery time but if it continued, even with acidophillus, then he wanted me to stop the Prilosec for awhile to see if that was causing it before he went back in surgically to look around. This was 8 months BEFORE my Diffuse scleroderma diagnosis - so now I assume my GI problems are that.

Has anyone else ever been told of this side effect from Prilosec? When my surgeon said I may have to go off it I was a little concerned because there's no way I can survive without it! Heartburn and reflux too, too bad.