Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

port a cath device

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 debra

debra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Anyone had a port a cath device inserted for iv's and blood draws? I sufffer from GAVE which causes me to have weekly blood draws, weekly iron infusions and monthly endoscopies with laser. I find the worse part of all these procedures is the inability of the nurses or even doctors to find a vein to draw blood or insert an IV. They stick me numerous times. Last time they had to resort to my neck which was not even successful! My Hematologist thought it would not be a good choice for me since I have alot of skin involvement and wound healing would be a problem.

Debra

#2 Susannah

Susannah

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hi Debra
Sorry to hear you are going through this, it is certainly a very challenging sympton of this disease to experience and not easily solved.
Ive had a port-a-cath in for a year now. I have GAVE too, quite severe. I have a blood test fortnightly, and the odd iron infusion. I just came home tonight from a 5 day course of an Illoprost infusion. Ive had over 20 blood transfusions in the last year whilst trying to treat the GAVE. Unfortunately after 8 laser treatments on the stomach, it still isnt cured. I have another lot in 3 weeks. I love my port for convenience sake and ease of pain, the veins in my arms are pretty much stuffed now, and I highly recommend one for anyone in this situation. I take it, you are looking at having one inserted. I have alot of skin involvement too and have had no issues with healing. I hope this helps
Susannah x

#3 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hi Debra,

I had the same problems as you. No veins, once while I was having a heart attack, it took them 2 hours and 12 tries of trying to start an IV, they finally did a central line. So, now that I need weekly iron infusions I have a port.

Getting it put in wasn't bad, about 15 minutes, some pain with the numbing needles, a little sore with healing and no problem healing. They actually used it the very next day. It's not the most beautiful thing, and seems obvious to me, but really unless I point it out, no one notices it. As far as using it, it's the best! Blood tests which used to be a nightmare are a breeze and they get vials full in under a minute. The infusions are likewise, easy as pie. Have no fears, a port is a good thing! Good luck.
Karen

#4 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

Hi Debra, I've had a double port for over a year now and have had no trouble with it. It makes life a lot easier for you and for the nurses. They always loved that I had a port because they didn't have to keep poking around looking for a vien. Mine itches sometimes and looks like I have two doorbell buttons in my chest but other than that I wouldn't know it was there. I wouldn't think twice about getting a port if I were you. Good Luck, Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#5 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

I just had a port put in last month for IVIG treatments. I am impossible to be able to draw from and like you the last time they wanted to go through my neck or my foot. Thank heavens they were able to draw from my arm finally and I didn't have to go through that pain.

I had my done in out-patient surgery and I just had my second round of IVIG treatments for 3 days in the hospital. It is so nice for the nurses and myself in using that and not have to go through the hassle. I hate when they "fish" around for the vein as mine will be there and then will disappear and they fish and fish. It ends up being so painful and after 3 trys by one nurse they have to call in another nurse, and so on and so on. If you are the same way then I would recommend you to go ahead and get one. I still have a little soreness and pain but it isn't bad.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#6 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

I've had my port in for over a year and have found it to be a great option. The one problem is that you need an RN to draw from it which means that a regular "lab" won't draw blood from it which can sometimes be a pain as it requires advanced scheduling. Good luck Gidget