Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Ischemic Fingertips

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Colleen

Colleen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

I could really use some advice on how to cope with ischemic fingertips. It's so painful. Dr. prescribed a painreliever but it didn't touch it only made me sick.

Any advice?
Thanks, Colleen

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hi Colleen,

Oh dear. Please keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and have no medical training at all. But it's my understanding that usually ischemia is treated by addressing the underlying cause, such as methods for improving circulation and reducing vasospasms, and not by just giving pain relievers.

See the main section of our site for Raynaud's Prevention and Treatments. Do you find any tips or ideas there that might help you?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 JohnLCanuck

JohnLCanuck

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi Colleen ~

Sorry to read about your pain. I haven't had a alot of success with pills either. It is my experience that most pain pills try to trick the nerves, when in fact maybe there is more pain from just raw openings & even infections.

I use an ointment or cream with an antibiotic in it & I try to find one with pain relief in the cream itself. I finally got a tube of topical lidocaine to add to anything I'm using at the time. I'm in Canada & the two best for me are an otc bacitracin/polymyxin ointment & an otc ointment with phenol/zinc oxide.

I have a prescription pain reliever that works, but then sometimes I'm not able to drive, so I just take a day off & rest my painful fingers.

Good luck in your search for relief . . . let me know how you do.

John L