Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Peripheral Neuropathy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

Is there a blood test that they do for peripheral neuropathy?

I finally got to go to the rheumatologist yesterday and he said that there is a SLIGHT chance that that is what my leg and arm tingling is. But he made a point that it's very unlikely. I tried to do a little bit of research for it online, but I'm not finding any specific tests that aside from a nerve biopsy, and urine to check for vitamin deficiency.

Does anyone else have this? What are your symptoms, what triggers them, how often?

Thanks all

#2 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

Omaeva,
I was having trouble with balance and numbness in my feet and when I went to a neurologist and he checked me out he thought that I had peripheral neuropathy. My neurologist said that it is quite likely that I would have neuropathy because it goes along with scleroderma and other connective tissue disorders. I had the nerve study done and I was fine. My rheumatologist told me that the burning and tingling can be from the Raynaud's.
Take care,
Nan

#3 relicmom1

relicmom1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

I was told I have peripheral neuropathy by the sleep disorder dr. I saw about 5 years ago. While he was taking my history, I told him that I was sure I have restless leg syndrome (and I do, it was proved by the sleep study). He asked it I tripped or fell alot, which I do (or did then). He then took what looked like a tuning fork they use in music and tapped it to get it vibrating and then he placed the stem end against my leg and asked if I could feel it. I could not. He said that I have peripheral neuopathy and that does go hand in hand with the scleroderma. He aslo told me never to walk in darkness, because I can't "feel" where my feet are , I have to see them. Low and behold, Iput night lights all thru my house and that did the trick. I have not had the nerve conduction test for my legs, I had them on my hands and lower arms for the carpal tunnel diagnosis and I REALLY don't ever want to have another one if I can help it, it was very painful. I hope this helps you.
Peace :)
Barbara aka relicmom1

#4 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is interesting. I have no issues with tripping just that numb and tingly feeling. I guess if it ever gets worse we'll go ahead and try to figure it out. Although at this point it's more of a discomfort and annoyance rather than painful or anything of the sort.

Thanks for the info once again helps a lot.

#5 CraigR

CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

I have peripheral neuropathy that was caused by high-dose chemotherapy for a stem-cell transplant for lymphoma, coupled with scleroderma (it was supposed to go away, but the scleroderma probably had something to do with its staying.

Most of the time it is merely numb, and other times rather painful (especially when trying to get to sleep). Vitamin B6 seems to help, and possibly B12.

I've never heard of a blood test for this condition. I believe it has something to do with damaged nerves, so a chemical (easily told from blood test) basis doesn't look likely. It is quite common among diabetics. It's very true what you say about needing to see where your feet are! I avoid driving cars with clutches because of the difficulty knowing where my feet are (I have an old utilty van, and I have to look down at my feet if I drive it!).

Craig

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

My sclero symptoms started as a tingling in my hands and feet that then progressed to numbness. It took a year of doctors and tests before sclero was finally diagnosed. I still see the neurologist as my neuropathy has escalated up to my knee and has affected my sense of touch and also my reflexes. They still will go tingly and numb, especially at night. There are some times when they feel like they are totally asleep. I have had all of tests done by the neurologist in his diagnosis of this and then he referred me to the rheumatologist doctor who then diagnosed the systemic sclero through blood work and then skin biopsies.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#7 ShawMJ

ShawMJ

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi I also have peripheral neuropathy,mine was diagnosed when I had a muscle biopsy done when they were trying to find out what I had 10 years ago thats how I found out.My legs burn a lot and are painful and didn't use to trip before but I do now.I also don't feel things we have to watch for mosquito bites when I'm outside because they can be biting me and I won't have any idea of it.Anyway that was my way of discovering it.Yes many people with scleroderma usually do develop it.Take care- Kittyears.

#8 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:56 AM

Hi,

I have not been diagnosed with Scleroderma, but my rheumatologist is talkingto me about it. I think I might have peripheral neuropathy. The last three months my arms and hands hurt when I am sleeping. They go completey numb. Sometimes I have to use the arm that is not numb to move it at night. It's like it is dead. It has been waking me up at night and driving me crazy. I had mentioned it to the rheumatologist before, but he never said much about it. I go again on june 4th and I will address it again.

Thanks

#9 CraigR

CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

Ozzy69,

I have also experienced this feeling of deadness in my arms at night. I found vitamin B6 (taken with food) to be helpful. Lack of vitamin B12 (pernicious anemia) can also cause neuropathic symptoms.

Good Luck,

Craig

#10 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

Thank you for your reply Craig. I already do take B- complex which includes B6. It is liquid form. I also take D, because about 5 months ago they tested it and I was so low that it hardly showed on my test.

Thanks again! :)

#11 omaeva

omaeva

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

What were the very first symptoms you were experiencing before the diagnosis, or before the tripping started?