Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

For the ladies!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

I'm just wondering how many of you ladies have problems with their menstruation?. I usually get my period every 28 days and have always been regular. Two days ago I got my period 16 days into my cycle, and no I'm not pregnant. I'm 39 years old, could this be the beginnings of early menopause??
Can Scleroderma cause early menopause in some people?

I have made an appointment to see my local doctor for next friday so I can get my hormone levels checked.

Many thanks
Celia :unsure:

#2 Guest_Sadie_*

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

Celia, I am 36 years old. My cycles are every 28 days but I have notice that they aren't as long as they use to be. Yes, I do wonder if Scleroderma can cause early menopause?

#3 Helen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi Celia

I got diagnosis with Sclero August '06 and never got another period after that date....but I was 50 then.

#4 Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Hi Celia

I had endometriosis in my early thirties. I had always had a regular 28 day cycle but then it went to every 12 - 15 days and left me exhausted and had lots of pain that I collapsed twice. The doctor tried drugs first but that didn't work so ended up with a hysterectomy and I never really looked back. When I started seeing the Rheumatologist last year and he took notes of my medical history he did say to me that endometriosis may be linked to autoimmune conditions. I don't know but if that is the case but I must have gone through the menopause when I was about 40 -41.

#5 barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the question as I have often wondered the same. My periods were always on schedule at 28 days and now are closer together too (23-24days). :(

I also have/had endometriosis....You all are starting to make a good case for the hysterectomy!

#6 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hi Celia,

We have a section on Autoimmunity and Early Menopause, at:
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#7 epasen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

Haha well I'm totally a different age, only 18, but I've had problems with my menstruation since it started... that was like 4 or 5 years ago. During this time they should've gotten regular, but never happened to me... We figured out with a doctor, that it's probably because a) I'm skinny B) I dance 3 times in a week c) I have a lot of stress often and d) because I'm lacking a great deal of fatty tissue because of scleroderma.

Anyway now we're trying to get my menstruation "back on track" with birth control pills and progesterone.. I'll just wait and see if that helps :) It's that the lack of estrogen can cause osteoporosis in later years and I'm having enough troubles with my health without that.

Take care,

#8 Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Are any of your meds causing the break through bleeding? Cellcept caused me to have break through bleeding. I came off Cellcept and my periods returned to normal as far as timing, however, they are not as red. Gyno checked me out fully with ultrasound, etc.. and basically the conclusion is my uterine walls are thickening and doubts that I can get pregnant again. He believe that this is early menopause triggered by the cyclophosphamide or the Cellcept. Good Luck. Gidget

#9 summer

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies to my post.

Gidget, I haven't changed any of my meds recently, only been on an antibiotic.

Shelley, Thanks for link to the site, it is so informative and answers alot of my questions.

My mood has plummeted again the last couple of weeks, so maybe my hormone levels are all over the place.

I will let you know how I get on after I see the doctor.

Many thanks
Celia :(

#10 CFMBabs

Silver Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

I started my menopause at the age of 42. I'd never had any previous problems, they just seemed to phase out.
I have a lot of eating problems, mainly because I have dysphasia and they started around that time and I thought my menstural cycle was affected because of poor nutrition.
I haven't had a period since!

I blame scleroderma -- of course!

Best wishes xxx

#11 Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

Well when I was younger I would have cramps. Then by age of 21 I had tubal done and boy did I have the cramps, but the only thing was I would only go 2 or 3 days and it was hardly anything. It was that way ever since I could remember. Then I had cervial cancer in my 30's and had to have a hysterectomy done. No menopausal yet, YAY!!!