Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Missing teeth?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carolynv

Carolynv

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi all! My 6yr old boy has morphea on his face and we have just been for a dental visit due to enamel problems on his molars. We had an x-ray done and found out that 8 of his adult teeth have not formed at all. We have been told that it wouldn't be related to his morphea, but I know of one other young boy with morphea on his face who has no roots forming for his adult teeth. Surely not a coincidence??

Has anyone else had this problem, or know anything about it? Would greatly appreciate some input. :)

Carolynv

#2 epasen

epasen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:52 AM

Hiya,
I don't have any special experience on this, but that doesn't sound a coincidence at all. There are many many things of scleroderma that people doesn't know yet, and various symptoms and stuff happening with scleroderma patients that can be sclero related but "officially" no-one knows if they really are or not. :)
Take care,
Emmi

#3 Carolynv

Carolynv

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Emmi - I appreciate your reply. I too believe there is alot they still don't know about this. Maybe in 20 years time, they'll find there's a link between scleroderma and missing teeth!!! Take care!

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

As I understand it (and keep in mind I have no medical training, verify everything with your dentist), adult teeth only begin forming at age six, and complete the process at age 21. There is plenty of time remaining for a child's teeth to form and dental problems are very common in children.

Occasionally there are some dental problems associated with morphea. As I understand it, that is more likely to be with linear "en coup de sabre", which is a special variety that deeply affects the face. Any and all concerns should be reviewed with the child's scleroderma expert, of course.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:51 AM

hI Carolyn,

About 6 months before my daughter (she's now 7 1/2) was diagnosed with linear slceroderma, she had to have 3 of her baby molars capped because they did not form correctly (only the perimeter of her teeth formed--no middle). I have always felt that this procedure, which was done under anesthesia, may have triggered her illness. She began losing her baby teeth about a month after she had turned 5, and has already lost 8 to this day. Her permanent teeth have come in without any problems though.

My other daughter, who will be 5 in July, has already lost 2 teeth, and the permanents are already growing in.

take care,

jennifer

#6 Carolynv

Carolynv

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. The x-ray showed all of his other adult teeth below the surface of the gum formed and ready to go.... There were just gaps in between where the other teeth were supposed to be. Our dentist said it's definitely not normal, but we are now going to a paediatric dentist to find out some more.

Thanks again,
Carolynv

#7 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:02 AM

Hi Carolyn,

I just noticed that I neglected to give you the link to our Scleroderma Dental Involvement page, in my prior message. Perhaps you can find something useful there?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#8 Carolynv

Carolynv

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for that link Shelley - I really appreciate it!

Carolynv