Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Flare Ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie R.

Leslie R.

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

This past week I had a bit if a flare up, my right hands was swollen and very painful, the tightness of my skin started getting worse. I have been taking meds for pain and for sleep which help alot. I speak to my rheumatologist last Thursday and he put on 20mg from 5 mg Prednisone. It help brought the swelling down and pain ease up. Today I saw him and he told me to reduce the 20 mg to 10mg Prednisone this Saturday, if I do experience any more symptom to call him right away. For the tightness he is going inquire about a medication to loosen the tightness.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi Leslie,

I'm sorry you're having a flare up of symptoms. I suppose you've seen our section on prednisone warnings for scleroderma? So, it's probably good your doctor has you tapering off now. I hope your symptoms begin settling down soon, even though there's little rhyme or reason to it.

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi Leslie

Sorry to hear your having a nasty time. Glad the medication is helping some. Hopefully, the rheumatologist will get you all fixed up in no time and that flare will settle down! :)
Sending good wishes your way!

#4 Leslie R.

Leslie R.

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for the support I am really hoping to kick this disease in remission. But thanks for people like you in the Sclero forum with advice, love and support it really mean alot for me.

Sincerely
Leslie R

#5 Leslie R.

Leslie R.

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hi Snowbird,

Thanks for the support and uplifting words, for myself I hope I can beat this especially flare-ups, it can be real ride. But sometimes we all have to ride the storm out before it subside. Hopefully some type of cure can save the day, but all we can do is have faith to keep fighting this battle. Love you guys and keep up the good fight.

Sincerely,
Leslie R